Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scots newbie

Hi everyone,

I've just found your site with a Google search.

This looks like the place that can help me with a problem.

I need a fast growing, very thorny plant, that I can train to grow over my garden shed.

It is to stop the local 'little darlings' jumping onto it from my old coal cellar roof. I've tried anti vandal paint, without success.

Someone suggested I try Tayberry plants as they are very thorny, but I don't know if they would grow in that part of our garden as it is in shade most of the day, and the soil is very dense and often waterlogged when we have heavy rain.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Filynne

Hi welcome to the vine. I guess you could try bramble but it will spread like mad!
    AKA Angie

Comment

Hi, I have blackberry and pyracantha at the bottom of my garden (not to mention the fairies)... both are vicious, though pyracantha (also called firethorn) would probably need tying to wires or trellis or something. Or how about a nice thorny rambling rose?

Comment

Bramble.
        aka. natural barbed wire
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Razor wire sharpicus?

Comment

Bramble works for me too!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Looks like bramble wins the vote. It is vicious enough to deter the 'little darlings', and how quickly does it grow? Not that I'm looking for blood or anything nasty like that (pity we can't use electrified wire), but I'm going to have a deceased husband if I can't dissuade these kids from jumping on the shed roof.

Comment

bramble will be vicious enough and it can grow upto a couple of inches a day in the right conditions, plus you will get the added bonus of blackberry jam!
                Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                Bob Dylan

Comment

aye bramble (mmm blackberries)

Also welcome to the vine, fellow Scot!
                  Stacey x ♫

Comment

Rubus cockburnianus

BBC - Gardening - Plants - Plant Finder - Rubus cockburnianus 'Goldenvale'

It will grow up against structures, although strictly not a climber.
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hallo and welcome from a fellow scottish resident! Where in scotland are u? I had some tayberries but they were slow to get off the ground and the hens ate them. I have a VERY spiky plant outside my kitchen window but I am not sure what it is... will have to so some research and let you know.

Comment

Hello from Aberdeen!

My ex has a Tayberry and it seems to grow mostly along a wall under trees, so you never know...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X