Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in North Wales

Hi Everyone
    I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am very new to all this, both forums and veg growing!
    My main 'helper' is my cocker spaniel Blue, who has discovered a love for digging, which at the moment is a great help getting my beds ready, but I am sure I'll change my mind when (or if!) things start growing.
    I have moved into a house which already had 5 slightly raised beds, each one 8 x 4ft, but unfortunately they hadn't been cultivated for a long time, so I feel like I have been digging for an eternity!
    I think my main challenge will be where I am situated, we are 1000ft up on a hillside, so things can get a bit breezy and the weather can change hourly!

I am looking forward to being in the grapevine, I must say everyone seems very friendly and any advice would be very welcome! (protection from digger dog Blue and protection from the elements especially welcome!).

Hi there & welcome! I've got a cocker spaniel too, tho he's 13 now and can't see very well but if he gets outside, he still likes to have a good root around! Perhaps you could consider getting some willow hurdles or similar to shelter the beds a bit?
    AKA Angie

Comment

Thanks - That sounds like a plan. I have put some polythene cloches on them at the moment as the weather is so much colder up here I thought it would warm the soil a bit. However it has only taken Blue 2 days to work out how to lift them out of the soil with a paw in order to get at the onion sets I planted last week. He keeps coming back into the house smelling like pickled onions. If there are any left it will be a miracle! Willow might be a more substantial barrier to keep him and the weather away from the crops.
      For all of his digging, I have to say he is a great gardening companion, and I am glad I am not alone in having an excavating spaniel!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X