New to growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to growing

Hi All, the family and i are all neew to growing. we've just taken on an allotment and look forward to recieving anytips as the project progresses. the most pressing is, what soil to put in the raised beds. i thought top soil /manure, but we have been offered recycled compost from the local garden centre and as you can guess its our first quandry. we have access to plenty of manure and sharp sand.

Hi Philter and welcome,
    When I made the raised beds on my lottie I part filled them with the soil I dug out from the paths alongside them, then I added what I could get in the way of compost from the garden, some bought compost/soil improver and well rotted manure from someone local who keeps goats and chickens. It doesn't matter if the soil doesn't come up to the top of your boards, (mine are only 6 - 8 ins deep made from scrap wood I can scrounge), as the seasons go on and you keep on adding to it the levels will come up. Do make sure that the manure is well rotted tho' otherwise it will burn the roots of your veg.

Good luck and happy digging

Comment

Hi Philter and welcome to the vine.
      It must be really exciting taking on a new allotment. I just grow from my garden but often wonder if allotment growing is 'social' joining in with others etc. The grapevine here is my allotment plot, every type of grower, seed swops, help and advice.
      Good luck
      BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
      Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Hello Philter! Welcome to the vine!
        AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X