Hi - new and already have loads of questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi - new and already have loads of questions

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions already but ...

One of my dogs died and I would like to have a plant bearing her name in my garden - I have no preference to type of plant - so if anyone has any suggestions for Abbie (or Abigail). My only stipulation is that it is one of these spellings (not Abigaile) which is the only one I've found.

Also...

I am growing vegetables (lettuce, spring onions, carrots, potatoes) so far and have a dilemma with slugs. I am unable to use poison as we feed the slugs to our turtles but cannot use beer traps (drunk turtles) - I have tried copper rings (suggested by my Dad) but no luck!!

Also ..

As our tortoise wanders the garden on occasion I need to kill the weeds without poison - any ideas!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies in advance if I have posted this is the wrong place as I am new to forums.
    Last edited by Suggy; 24-05-2009, 05:43 AM.

Originally posted by Suggy View Post
    I need to kill the weeds without poison - any ideas!!!
    Yep ... use your hands. Pull them up
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I ... have a dilemma with slugs.
      There are 1000s of posts about slugs. Have a go with your search button.

Comment

One of my dogs died and I would like to have a plant bearing her name...Abbie (or Abigail).
        I searched in the RHS database and got about 5 hits. The link won't work, so you'll need to have a look yourself though. http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp

the fuchsia 'Abigail' has 3 online suppliers in the UK: http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder...s.asp?ID=68895
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-05-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Suggy welcome to the vine

I'm experimenting with oyster chicken grit as slug deterrent. And so far so good my lettuce seedlings have not been touched...... I am working on the theory that it is sharp grit and as it is also cheap should be brill if it does work.
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Hi and welcome

Slug problem - crushed egg shells or as Hayley said, oyster grit
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

hi Suggy,
              sorry about your dog -

day lily - abigail adams
              acer palmatum - abigail rose
              double peony tulip - abigail
              begonia - abbie

re:slugs - I'm trying to fox the blighters using strips of orange peel, (in pots round young plants, not on a veg bed though) it's working so far. I've read of using guttering round a veg bed, if there's water in the guttering the slugs and snails can't cross, and I imagine any drowned would be ok to feed your turtle without it getting hungover.

hope you find a plant you like.

tulip
              Last edited by tulip; 24-05-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X