Morning all!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all!

As I've used the web-site for a bit, thought I'd better introduce myself!

I've grown fruit and veg/kept chickens for a long time, but am now in a house with a small back garden. Luckily, my other half has allowed me to take over 2/3rds of the lawn for growing veg and keeping chooks.

My biggest problem is crop rotation, as I basically have only 2 plots....one for brassicas and one for beans etc.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get problems in the future on a 2 year rotation.

As in 40 years I've NEVER managed to grow decent parsnips or carrots, I don't even bother trying with them now! Nor do I have space for onions, but garlic is a "must grow" crop. The salads get cropped from spaces between the slower growing plants....short rows of raddish between the sprouts or a couple of little gem lettuce that have been grown in modules first and then transplanted.....

I've managed to grow rocket and landcress over winter in the cold frame for the last couple of years too.This year, I plan to have a go with a winter variety of little gem lettuce in the frame as well.

Today I'm suffering from doing too much in the garden (lots of aches!)
    but I think there may be 3 or 4 ripe strawberries in the frame for my breakfast, plus a freshly laid egg from the "Avian Ladies"....and home grown lettuce, raddish and rocket in the salad for tea tonight! Makes all the hard work worth it!

Hi maddie! Beans and brassicas sounds ok to me. Just watched a HFW programmme where he made a loverly soup with borlotti beans and Tuscan kale..........looked yummie!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What about any squashes/pumpkins?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Morning Maddie..

I have 2 plots. We made two raised veg beds taht are 1m x 2 m. But I mark it up into 8 squares (or so) and go for different things in each.

Veg Bed 1
        Square 1 = Kohl rabi & Beetroot (alternating rows)
        Square 2 = Spring onions, Radishes and little gem
        Square 3 = Salad - Stir Fry mix
        Square 4 = Spinach
        Square 5 & 6 = Onions
        Square 7 & 8 = 2 x Potatoes

I plant quite tightly as I'm a bit mean on space. I go crazy with seed buying and find I've more seeds than will fit in ground and as a like the variety I tend to squeeze about 4 rows in a 50cm square! (Usually for salad type crops.)

Veg bed 2 is mot planted up yet, but I have peas that have sprouted which will go in, along the long side this year with a frame that will arch them over to the opposite long side. Underneath I will put in some more lettuces. radishes, oriental leaves (pak choi, choy sum, kailaan...) maybe some carrots...and maybe find room on one short end of the bed for sweetcorn!

I'm a bit naughty and don't stick to the recommended planting distances! When you see raised beds in magazines and on telly they always seem full of lush vegetables tightly packed together. Seems like good use of space!

Anyway, welcome to vine and happy growing

Comment

I don't worrry about crop rotation....I just add loads of manure. I will agree about the parsnips.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

welcome Maddie, i'm sure your extensive experience will be added to the collective and improve the Vine yet again!!
            Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
            Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X