Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New2u

Hi everyone

I have registered because eventually I am very interested in swapping seeds and looking for advice. I have a largish garden which grows only acid loving plants so I share an allotment elsewhere. I have recently volunteered to help a group on our allotment site who garden to help their recovery from illness. I hadn't intended to be the helper just to help weed and keep tidy but as my little knowledge is welcome I now run the group. Money is tight with the group and we also seem to have more of a problem on this allotment with rabbits and slugs and things.

Today my question is: how do you know when broad beans are ready - they are winter sown? I sampled some yesterday and they are about half an inch/one centimetre at the moment. I've read that you can tell they're ready because they change colour but I am not going to inspect every pod as I don't have the time and we have a huge crop! If they are half an inch now will they be ready in a week or weeks? I know you start to pick from the bottom to encourage more flowers to grow. I live in East Dorset on the coast.

Cheers Margaret
    A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

I just picked a bag full of broadies. They've grown a lot in a week. They don't change colour ... who told you that?
    The pods get noticeably fatter - have a feel, and if one feels like it's got seeds in, pod it. If the beans are still too small, leave them another week.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks - I don't know where I read about the change of colour. I have this capacity to remember the most trivial unimportant facts but can't remember the important stuff! Which is why finding this site is great.
      A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Rabbits are not too much of a problem...but I find you need two for a good stew.....I may come and visit you..We always come to Chistchurch on holidays...I will bring my weeding trousers.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Hi and Welcome

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X