I should really do this... so Hi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should really do this... so Hi

Greetings all. Im Pete i come from Timperley but live in Sheffield now, I dont have much space but trying to turn it into something nice. I know nothing really about planting and growing stuff, i wish I had the knowledge my dad had.

Front garden is about 3.5x2.5m or in real money 14'x10', I dug out over 2ton of clay 6 years ago, mixed in about 8 bags each of Compost, pea shingle, sharps sand to bring the level up and try to break the clay down a bit. Added a top 1.5ton of sandy top soil. Grass seeded and have an established lawn. Boarders are bare at the moment, just planted privet cuttings last year along the front edge (I want a short hedge).
    Just planted a load of established Strawberry plants under the front window.

The rear garden got a major shuffle 18months ago its a rectangular plot short wall on 3 sides with steps the width of it up to the grass on the 4th. Its not much bigger than the front garden, It got 2ton of top soil after as much clay could be taken out, Turfed last year, Rhubarb bush in a corner doing well, Sweet pea in planters along the bottom wall starting the climb up the fence. 6 garlic bulbs doing well. But nothing in the boarders.

The soil in the area is very clayish and drainage can be an issue. With prolonged rain puddles do form on the lawn and in the beds but has been better since I started to get out with the hoe once a week.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete J; 30-05-2009, 12:20 PM.

Hi pete ! welcome

Comment

My old house was the same, clay, it was a nightmare, my hubby had to dig it out to build a decked patio, by the time he had done, he had lost the will to live !!! and said he would never pick a spade up again. when i decided to grow veg i made some raised beds, and bought soil in to fill them, it worked out well and they looked neat in a small garden.

Comment

Hello, Pete. I (and one or two others here) are from Sheffield so we can sympathize about the clay! Keep digging in the organic matter and over time it becomes some of the best soil there is as the nutrients, once added, don't wash away.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Hi Welcome to the Vine
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi Pete..and welcome to the Vine!!!
            As I've mentioned before - I'm from your area!
            ..and son is in Sheffield!!

..what are you intending to grow????
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and welcome. By 'eck you've been busy!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Hi Pete..and welcome to the Vine!!!
                As I've mentioned before - I'm from your area!
                ..and son is in Sheffield!!

..what are you intending to grow????
                I didn't know that!!!!!
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I have a friend Margrette who has a couple of alotment plots in Hillsbrough, if you know her you cant mistake her... her hair changes colour more than the rain falls!!!

As for the planting.... I haven't got a clue!! Im after doing the flowers and stuff, but do like the idea of fruit/veg/herb stocks. I forgot earlier I also have tyme rosemary and parsley on the go too. Next door have brambles growing all over the back of their garage... needless to say as they dont use them I do.

I teach in Wath, we have a small plot that we are running as an enterprise project in the school grounds, we do fruit and veg as well as hanging baskets flower pots etc. I get one hour a week with 8 lads, who sort of show interest, Im trying to learn as much as I can from the lady with all the knowledge who runs it with me. I put the lads through an enterprise and employability qualification (hope they pass!!) as the garden has taught them about project managment, staffing, costs etc... all transferable skills which is the 'buzz' at the moment.

It takes me back to the 70's 'helping' dad dig over the garden, planting sprouts, carrots etc... i think I used to play more with my actionman in the new 'trenches' that had been dug out Dad wasnt happy a year after I had stuck a potato in one...

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete and Welcome

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X