Hi, Im a newie!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, Im a newie!!

Hi, First time ever on a 'forum' & first time with an allotment. Got mine about 2 months ago, already rotivated, so started digging and planting - potatoes, shallots, onions, rhubarb. Started broad beans & runner beans in pots. All going well at the moment. Plots next to me have had their cabbages etc eaten - its that caterpillars of cabbage white butterflies?? What else should I be doing? Ta. Lizzie

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
    Plots next to me have had their cabbages etc eaten - its that caterpillars of cabbage white butterflies?
    At this time of year it will be pigeons.
    Cabbage whites are only just laying their eggs, but the caterpillars will be along to finish off the remaining brassicas in a few weeks time.

Brassicas need netting from cradle to grave I'm afraid.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ta for that, will plant mine next week with nets!!!

Comment

Get your compsost bins built and get some grass cutting..to start you off....you will need tons of compost....

Welcome and good gardening,
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I was advised to soak your Rhubarb leaves in a dustbin full of water for a few weeks, then water the Brassicas with the liquid. Supposedly the Cabbage White hates the smell and will leave well alone!

Amazing what you can learn on here!

Haven't tried it yet - just waiting for the next Rhubarb harvest this weekend!
          Last edited by Glutton4...; 02-06-2009, 08:25 PM.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X