No announcement yet.

Thank goodness I found this site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But have you tried digging in a straightjacket? Welcome Row - it's a great place to learn. Just wait till you eat your first home grown anything - amazing (especially the spuds!)
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
      Hi Row, and a warm welcome to the madhouse oft reffered to as the 'vine!

When we first started we started a thread on here that may be of some help, it did end up almost a blog in itself, so we then ended up setting up a blog, I'd urge you to do the same, as it gives you something to look back on and be proud of plus a place that allows you to share your successes and failures with others! Anyhows take a look at the thread and see what you think! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ment_2681.html

Oh, lastly, if you have specific queeries, then use the search feature, there will usually be someone who has asked the question before so you may get some advice that way, but always remember, there are no dumb questions, by asking a question you may think of as dumb, you may not only get an answer, but also help others who were too scared of asking the question for fear of looking silly, as Mr D says, better to look silly for a moment than to remain ignorant for the rest of your life! Lol!
      Thanks Suzanne. I love your blog by the way. Its great to see the changes in the pics. I've been checking out various photos as well as yours and its great to see how others are doing. its very reassuring.
      I have been giving the search feature a lot of use already.
      As for looking silly....well thats perfectly normal for me anyway!
      I'm going to take some photos of my garden ( I should have really done a before and after but I forgot as it was a rush job) But I'm going to take some each week so that I can compare. When you are looking all the time you don't really notice the progress do you?
      Thanks for all your advice.
      You're all a really friendly bunch.
      from Row
      Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Hey Row,

Welcome to the vine As I've said before, I use the mini greenhouses too, they way I make sure they are more productive than destructive is to whack a growbag in the bottom (keeps weight at the base) with toms in, and in the summer, keep one side of the zip open, and then in the morning rolling up the door.

Without trying to sound patronizing, try and place the greenhouse in your garden to use the sun's ark well, (obviously right under the sun at 12 will be far hotter than in the sun at 4.00 pm) so things will be more frazzled!

As you're new to gardening , you will quickly learn from anyone that sells you plants/seeds that tomato feed is Gods gift to gardeners, everyone seems to recommend it. If you're not that bothered about 100% natural and organic, it might be worth getting some !

Hope the forum is of use to you ! anything else just ask

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
          Row, what a super dad you have. Lucky you.

Welcome to the Vine and you'll get all the help you need on here.

You'll get better help if you break your questions down to one question per post - but as many posts as you like. That way Grapes can answer one question for you and not feel they have to be able to answer 40. See you soon.
          Yeah sorry, I did go on a bit in my first post. I promise to be good in future and stick to one question at a time. I'm a bit keen aren't I?
          Yep Dad is great.
          He had a new hip last year so he hasn't been able to do as much as usual hence him hiring a rotovator but infact that pulled him about the garden and hurt his hip anyway. His garden is lovely with perfect lawns and flower beds and his veggie patch is lovely with finely tilled soil not full of lumps of concrete and stones like mine. He also has a proper greenhouse hence my getting a few spare plants. He is helpful but if I ask him anything he seems to think he has to drive over here and do stuff for me when in fact all I want is advice on how to do it. I thought I'd try a forum so that I didn't have to bug dad all the time and this is great. In fact I'm going to recommend it to him and to my friend who keeps chickens as I see you even have a thread for that.
          Brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
            Hmm, chocolate n wine, shame you dont live closer, I'd come round n hlp, erm I mean save you from the sins of chocolate n wine!
            wow you guys will do anything for us newbies. So selfless and accomodating. I'm very impressed.
            Now where did I put that bottle of wine....hic...oops finished it. Sorry Suzanne maybe next time eh?

Comment

Originally posted by adamS View Post
              Hey Row,

Welcome to the vine As I've said before, I use the mini greenhouses too, they way I make sure they are more productive than destructive is to whack a growbag in the bottom (keeps weight at the base) with toms in, and in the summer, keep one side of the zip open, and then in the morning rolling up the door.

Without trying to sound patronizing, try and place the greenhouse in your garden to use the sun's ark well, (obviously right under the sun at 12 will be far hotter than in the sun at 4.00 pm) so things will be more frazzled!

As you're new to gardening , you will quickly learn from anyone that sells you plants/seeds that tomato feed is Gods gift to gardeners, everyone seems to recommend it. If you're not that bothered about 100% natural and organic, it might be worth getting some !

Hope the forum is of use to you ! anything else just ask
              Thank you very much.
              I have now whacked a growbag in the bottom of my greenhouse as well as a couple of bags of multi purpose stuff.
              at the mo I've only got peppers and chillis in there. I tried to grow lettuce but so far its a no show after 2 weeks so I've tried again in a plastic trough on the patio.
              My greenhouse faces straight into the morning sun but by late afternoon only the top is in the sun as its shaded by a neighbours huge tree. I really have only one spot that I can fit it in but I think I have it sussed after my mistake last weekend. I'm going to plant some more beans in there tomorrow and some proper peas but this time I'll keep the packets.
              My daughter wants to grow carrots but my Dad has had no luck with them in the past and says to avoid them but we get through loads of them and it would be nice to grow our own.
              Any advice on the best types to grow in previously turfed stoney soil?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Comfreyfan View Post
                But have you tried digging in a straightjacket? Welcome Row - it's a great place to learn. Just wait till you eat your first home grown anything - amazing (especially the spuds!)
                I'll get the kids to do the digging!
                Thanks Comfreyfan. I can't wait for our first crop. I have herbs on my kitchen windowsill and some very peppery cress and I got a fab crop of chillis last year (from a plant my Step Mum grew for me) from which I made red pepper, chilli and red onion chutney. Loverly. So I have had a bit of a taste of home grown stuff but only windowsill stuff not outdoorsy stuff.
                Fingers crossed it all works out.
                Thanks for the welcome.
                from Row.
                Last edited by NewbieGardenerRow; 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Row - me again. You'll find that lettuce do better out of the greenhouse (except in winter!) They like it cool and can even grow in the shade. Peas are hardy too. I sow mine in modules then plant out when they are starting to shoot well. Stops the mice digging the seeds out!
                  As to carrots - your Dad is right about stony soil. You might manage to get a crop with Paris Market - a little round carrot. Otherwise you can sow them in compost in a trough or big pot. I did that here to grow a few for my grand-daughter but my soil doesn't grow good carrots either. I tend to go for crops I know are easy in my area. No point looking for problems!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi, and welcome!

I agree with Flummery, Paris Market are a great little carrot and kids just love them. I've grown them with great success in short, cardboard milk cartons, so you shouldn't have any problem growing them in a tub - if you've got space. I grow lots of carrots in the ground, but even more in tubs (we love them too), and often lift some early and eat as baby carrots. Yummy!!
                    A good beginning is half the work.
                    Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetiepea View Post
                      Hi, and welcome!

I agree with Flummery, Paris Market are a great little carrot and kids just love them. I've grown them with great success in short, cardboard milk cartons, so you shouldn't have any problem growing them in a tub - if you've got space. I grow lots of carrots in the ground, but even more in tubs (we love them too), and often lift some early and eat as baby carrots. Yummy!!
                      Thank you for the advice (and thanks to Flummery too). I will have a look for some Paris Market and grow in tubs but i also like the milk carton idea.
                      We get through lots of juice and milk cartons and they don't take them for recycling around here so its a great use for them.
                      Cheers.
                      You guys are so helpful.
                      Right I'm off to look at my veggies as I've resisted since I got home from work, then its more planting for me.
                      I'm hooked on growing things!

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieGardenerRow View Post
                        wow you guys will do anything for us newbies. So selfless and accomodating. I'm very impressed.
                        Now where did I put that bottle of wine....hic...oops finished it. Sorry Suzanne maybe next time eh?
                        D'oh! Lol! Next time it is then Row!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about the blog, tis nice to know someone other than us appreciates it, Lol!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X