Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to the Forum & Veggie Growing!

Hi All

Well, after having moved 6 years ago into a house with a HUGE garden, and not having done much to it except tidy it up every now and then, I've taken the plunge and started growing my own veggies and fruit.

Why, oh why didn't I start doing this years ago!!!!! It's so much fun, great exercise, and having tasted my very first crops (radishes), they are SOOOOO much tastier.

At the moment I've got two raised beds, which we've put a fence around to keep the dog out. Unfortunately, the foxes didn't take any notice, and I lost a lot of my carrots and parsnips, but thankfully they've not been back since. I'm planning on sowing some more this weekend, if the rain stops long enough.

So, I'm a VERY new gardner, and so far have been relying on my MIL for advice. It'll be so nice to get advice and support from other GYOers as well

Off to water the seedlings in my greenhouse now and start my blog

Love n' stuff
    Babs x
    Love 'n' Stuff
    Babs

My Blog - My Little Patch Of Culinary Heaven

Welcome to the madvine Magic

We're all addicts on here and if you're not careful we'll convince you to keep chooks too
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I keep joking with my DH about keeping chickens So far he's said no, but you never know. The guy two doors down has them - but then the biggest incentive for me at the moment is to annoy my grumpy next door neighbour LOL
      Love 'n' Stuff
      Babs

Comment

Hi MagicLady, and welcome to the vine. Never mind the grump next door, get them for yourself. Think of all those lovely fresh eggs .... yum! Can't wait until I have a spot cleared for some of my own.
        A good beginning is half the work.
        Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Well done to starting your own veg garden! There's nothing better than eating your own home grown!

As for chickens - we have 2 but they don't mix well with the garden! I pulled up some pak choi from garden and had to hide from chickens as they were nicking it off me! They were tasty at any rate!

Comment

Not really looked into chickens much yet - thought I'd get to grips with the veggies first. But the thought of fresh eggs is tempting
            Love 'n' Stuff
            Babs

Comment

Ha ha!We'll have you into allsorts,chickens are great funand the eggs are nothing like shop bought.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicLady View Post
                Hi All

Well, after having moved 6 years ago into a house with a HUGE garden, and not having done much to it except tidy it up every now and then, I've taken the plunge and started growing my own veggies and fruit.

Why, oh why didn't I start doing this years ago!!!!! It's so much fun, great exercise, and having tasted my very first crops (radishes), they are SOOOOO much tastier.

At the moment I've got two raised beds, which we've put a fence around to keep the dog out. Unfortunately, the foxes didn't take any notice, and I lost a lot of my carrots and parsnips, but thankfully they've not been back since. I'm planning on sowing some more this weekend, if the rain stops long enough.

So, I'm a VERY new gardner, and so far have been relying on my MIL for advice. It'll be so nice to get advice and support from other GYOers as well

Off to water the seedlings in my greenhouse now and start my blog

Love n' stuff
                Babs x
                Hi Babs

I'm very new to veg growing too, although I've been a keen but novice gardener for about 6 years or so. I'd been wanting to get an allotment for a couple of years and the waiting lists were so long in my city, that I'd given up. I didn't want to dig up my beloved plants so last year when Channel4/Hugh Fernley Whittingstall did a program about a group of a group of wouldbe small holders, I joined the newly formed website initiate called Landshare.

When the whole project eventually went live at Easter this year, I aquired someland from a private owner, and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm growing a wide variety of veggies from seed (for better or worse), and it's slow going but I love it. I'm currently inundated by cabbage plugs and tumbling toms which I'm giving away to friends and anybody who wants them.

I have a tiny plastic greenhouse at home which I'm growing my seeds in, and have even put a couple of small raised beds in aswell. The compost I've been making for about 2 years, and never touched has been a godsend.

Like you I wished I'd started years ago.

Well I'm going back out now to continue my tidying up after the rain today, cos my little greenhouse has a leak, and some of my plug plants have had a bit too much water for one day.

Good Luck and keep up the good work

Regards

Kirsty

Comment

I've got a plastic greenhouse as well. We had a glass one when we moved in, left by the previous owners, but we gave that to my MIL when we bought a huge shed. I used to run an online craft shop, so the shed was my stockroom but since closing it's become my craft room. Wish I'd kept the greenhouse now lol.
                  Love 'n' Stuff
                  Babs

Comment

Hi and welcome! Good luck with the addictive veggie growing, I'm loving it too! You gotta get Chooks though
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X