Braod beans - non above 9" (20 cms)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braod beans - non above 9" (20 cms)

Usually grow about 100 lbs broad beans but think I have a disaster this year. Plenty of good beans low down but then just flower stalks with no beans developing. Is this a case of non pollination - if so why? or drought? All suggestions welcome. They are my husbands favourite......:

Drought likely.
    Wind will also cause beans to be short - I can't get them to grow any taller than 2 foot at the very most.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A couple of ineresting things have happened to some of mine this year:-

1) My self saved crimson flowered beans are 3 foot high this year whilst last year they were about 18 inches?
      2) Some of them have thrown up white flowered 'sports' which I've pulled out as I already have white flowered beans.

They do supposedly cross pollinate very easily so I was wondering if the two different types had cross pollinated last year.........could account for the extra height as well I suppose?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sounds like you had crosses Snadger. Mine last year were about 2ft high and again this year. I did have 2 white flowering ones which I removed and took to the allotment! The lady there who had some of my beans has all crimson and all 2 ft tall. If they had all crossed a little the height could be from the other parent.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My broad beans are about 6 ft tall, are they supposed to be this tall, they were new seeds packets overwintered.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

I grew some a couple of years back - Bunyard's Exhibition I think - that were taller than me - and I'm 5ft 9. It depends on the variety.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              I grew some a couple of years back - Bunyard's Exhibition I think - that were taller than me - and I'm 5ft 9. It depends on the variety.
              That will be why then cos they are Bunyards Exhibition.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

feed them that may help.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X