Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone!!

I think its about time I said hello.

I have been lurking on the vine for a while but I have not really posted anything. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the treads on the grapevine and it has keep my passion for gardening going in my wait for an allotment.

I'm 27 and from Greenford west London and was lucky enough to get half a plot on Saturday just gone!!!!

I have spent all of the last weekend and Wednesday clearing my lottie of evil bindweed and brambles.

I've been interested in gardening for a few years and grow some veg in my back garden. My neighbor has got a massive tree that over hangs my garden, so I am really looking forward to all the possibilities my new lottie will open up for me.

I want to see if i can make use of my lottie this year, what can i plant this late in the season?

I'm looking forward to all the advise.

Mo

Hi join_the_resistance & welcome to the vine & congratulations on getting your plot.
    The only advice on clearing your "new" plot is not to use to use weed killer.
    Digging out brambles,bind weed & cooch grass is the best option as weed killer does not always kill off the roots.
    Weed killer if not used with care can be carried on to other plots & kill off your neighbours produce.
    Last edited by bubblewrap; 19-06-2009, 05:37 AM.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

hi and welcome.

Several people are asking what can they grow now? Go and look at car boots, markets etc. for plants that you can stick in the ground.
      What to do now in your vegetable garden
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi and welcome,
        You can grow all sorts of salad stuff now, plus it's still worth putting in peas and french beans, and you can buy cabbage, broccoli and sprout plants still. I'd give carrots a try if your soil is deep in enough where you've cleared it, I'd also try beetroot, even if they don't get big by autumn they are great roasted with other veg. As TS says it's still possible to get plants at markets and garden centres, they've really jumped on the GYO band waggon and there's lots of plants around, Home Base and B&Q near us still seem to have lots.

Good luck and enjoy it.
        Last edited by Lottieval; 19-06-2009, 06:46 AM.

Comment

hey and well done for plucking up the courage to say hi!

for this year i would defo just concentrate on clearing the plot back and buying plug plants, there are a few things you can still grow pretty much all salads can still be grown from seed, courgettes, i think peas can still be done for a while yet but to get your lottie underway i'd say plugs are the way forward.

enjoy growing and good luck

Comment

Welcome aboard.....
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Its so nice to no longer be "new" as loads more people join. You will learn so much from this brilliant bunch they are all ace! Fell free to ask any question, someone will have the answer. A big warm welcome from South Oxfordshire

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies I will defo try and grow some courgettes. I completely agree with you bubblewrap, weedkillers are not the answer I want my food to be as organic and possible.

Thank for link two sheds that bookmarked.

I think it off with me to B&Q tomorrow

Comment

Hi and welcome,
                  If your made half as welcome as i have been, you'll be ok. O and congrats on the allotment.

Comment

Hello & welcome

I've never known a friendlier bunch than on here If you have Q's just ask - someone will know, likewise if you have an answer please post and enlighten us all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X