Is it not to late to say hi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it not to late to say hi

Hi guys the names greasyfire from london, i have recently discovered a love for gardening and i am now growing many things in the garden. In my garden i am mostly growing fruit but i am also growing tomatoes, squash and potatoes. I am from a carribean backgroung where cooking has primarily exotic fruits and veg. Back home in trinidad are auntie had mangoes, cocoa, starfruit, limes and chenet fruit.

I am not really a flower person and my view is if u caqnt use it why is it there. My grans is more the flower planters. The fruit trees in my garden are 2 types of pear conference and concorde i think. One plum , one cherry and one greengage.

However this is where it gets interesting. I have found a technique to grow citrus seeds super quick and im growing about 20 trees all orange, tangerine, lemon and grapefruit in me bathroom aswell as like 7 cherimoya from seed. I am attempting ton grow pineapple from crowns with minimal success. Along with edibles i am growing Aloes and cactuses.

Next season i will be looking primarily at tropical fruit trees which is my passion. I am looking for at least to passionfruit varieties. 2 grape vines a peach and maybe a nectarine or almonnd maybe a cape gooseberry and tree tomato if i am lucky. I am trying to get another self-fertile kiwi to acompany my own aswell as cranberry to go arround the bottom.

I am looking for and allotment so i can transfer my veg from my garden to there and it would help if my lazy neighbour would doh his broken face which has been lyk that for to years

So thats just me
    Last edited by greasyfire; 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM.
    Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Hi Greasyfire - thanks for introducing yourself - how great to have a Grape with your expertise -especially someone else in the London area!! We are really testing out climate change and global warming in the area, don't you think? (Hot dry summers, warm wet winters - all under the radiator of the greater London area!) My allotment is visited by the London flock of parakeets as well!
    Last edited by Jeanied; 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

That the thing in london it would be december in summer and it would be summer in september and snoqing in april. I mean climate chnage has his us bad aswell as anywhere else in England along with all these new and weird species popping up my neighbour couple houses down the road saw one of those new zealand leaf insects and i have harlequinds flooding my bedroom each year. But i aint complaining yh most of summer are hot and december isnt really that cold apart from odd forsts but it just jan and feb and maybe early spring.
      OOH parakeets i allways see them in parks feeding of chestnuts and ornamental fruit trees but i have never had one neer the house although i had a woodpecker. Thats preety lucky though seeing one in your allotment exspecially when the goverment wants to eradicate them.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyfire View Post
        im growing about 20 trees all orange, tangerine, lemon and grapefruit in me bathroom ... I am attempting ton grow pineapple from crowns with minimal success... 2 grape vines a peach and maybe a nectarine or almonnd
        You're certainly enthusiastic, and ambitious!
        Bob Flowerdew lives up near me, and he grows pineapples. Check out his books if you can.
        Where are you going to keep all those citrus? Do you have a greenhouse or conservatory?

As for almonds: have you considered a native hazelnut instead?

The almond tree (Prunus amygdalus) is much cultivated in the eastern Mediterranean countries and in the Middle East. It will also grow in Spain, Italy, California and Australia.

Prunus dulcis (Common Almond) can be grown in southern Britain but as almond trees tend to flower very early in the year and are susceptible to frost damage, some form of protection will probably be necessary if you want your tree to bear nuts.

Most almonds are self sterile and need to be cross-pollinated.
        Almonds need deep soil, a warm climate and adequate rainfall ...they grow well against south-facing walls. Article on Nuts
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A very interesting introduction!

..welcome to the Vine...I hope I can pick your brain sometime????
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Greetings greasyfire,

Where abouts are you in London?
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hi greasyfire. I'm growing oca and achocha and I think they are exotic - I know nothing! Good luck with your fruits.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi there,
                Welcome to the vine, its great to meet you - your enthusiasm is infectious

Comment

Hi greasyfire were already friends on the vine, but I thought I'd welcome you officially. I too will be picking your brains at some stage no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    You're certainly enthusiastic, and ambitious!
                    Bob Flowerdew lives up near me, and he grows pineapples. Check out his books if you can.
                    Where are you going to keep all those citrus? Do you have a greenhouse or conservatory?

As for almonds: have you considered a native hazelnut instead?

Article on Nuts
                    Originally posted by broadway View Post
                    Greetings greasyfire,

Where abouts are you in London?
                    [QUOTE=Flummery;574398]Hi greasyfire. I'm growing oca and achocha and I think they are exotic - I know nothing! Good luck with your fruits.[/Q. By.UOTE]

I have considere hazelnut but i heard they grow quite big and we have a giant oak in are nieghbour sgarden which block and is restricted and so another big tree would definetly deprive are garden of light. Are garden is wuite sheltere even though are neighbour has a broken fence there alot of windbreaks so no cold wind. I live in croydon and if you dont know where that is its kind of near brixton and mitcham. Achocha i have never heard of that i might have to research that and give it a try it and i never see any oca in supermarkets because you know i would grow it

My outlook in life is that you obnly have one life so live it, and if you cant go to the tropical places bring it to you so thats what im doing. By the way two sheds i think ile keep about 10 of the trees and sell the rest. The whole of the neighbours are in on my scheme but they dont know the technique but i know that frost will take most of them so. I am thinkiugn of geting a shed or greenhouse ?

Comment

Originally posted by greasyfire View Post
                      ile keep about 10 of the trees and sell the rest... I am thinkiugn of geting a shed or greenhouse ?
                      You couldn't grow plants in the shed of course (too dark) but a greenhouse would be a wonderful addition to your empire
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        You couldn't grow plants in the shed of course (too dark) but a greenhouse would be a wonderful addition to your empire
                        Not even if it was on a shed window

Comment

Maybe you are looking for a solar potting shed - not cheap, but an option!
                          Solar Potting Sheds
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

wow thats really outside my price range for a shed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X