Hi from York

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from York

One of your members that I know, recommended this site and I have to say, it seems well active and very useful.

I was a professional chef for 24 years, but changed occupation a few years ago, as I didn't want to be working weekends and split shifts any longer.

I have carried on cooking at home and I am particularly interested in experimenting with Asian and Far Eastern recipes, with Thai being my current favourites and I have even taught a gourmet curry club at my local college recently.

Now even though I live in a fairly big city, I still have problems getting hold of some ingredients such as golongung, kaffir limes and leaves, thai basil, turmeric etc. Other ingredients while available can be hard to find or expensive.

I am also in need of a hobby and quite fancy growing some of these exotic ingredients, if suitable for a novice. The problem is, although well versed in cooking fruit and vegetables, I have no experience of growing them whatsoever.

For the next month or two I will be restricted to growing on window sills indoors, but after that a relative has offered me the use of a heated greenhouse and some raised beds.

I am open to all of your tips and advice and to start me off, I plan to plant some mild and hot chilli's, some chives and some coriander and thai basil.
    Last edited by Ringo Grumio Nibbler; 29-12-2009, 04:12 PM.

Welcome, and good luck. You'll find lots of chilli threads (and fans) on here
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hello Ringo Grumio Nibbler and Welcome to the Vine

What an unusual name :-)

Your in the right place here plenty of friendly advice and loads of great people :-)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I will buy a cheap propigator tomorrow, along with seeds for Thai Basil, Coriander, Jalapeno chilli's and birds eye chilli's.

What compost/soil/feed should I get for the pots once the seeds germinate?

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Vine!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welome to the vine RGN! I too inten broadening my horizon this year by growing Perilla,Celtuce and quite a few more uncommon plants.

Hope your early seed sowing goes well!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Welcome, loving your name!

Comment

Hi there,
                lovely to meet you and good luck with the exotics...I am sure you'll feel right at home here.

Comment

Hi RGN and welcome to the Vine - it sounds like you are going to be a great contributor to the season to taste threads!! To answer your compost question - that will depend on what you are growing on and how. It sounds like you will be using a multipurpose compost to grow on in at first and maybe transplanting into growbags or big pots later to grow on? All of the exotics will need protection for quite a while yet so indoors and regular feeding will be the order of the day I suspect. You will get much more specific advice in the herb section!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse RGN. As to chillis...well there are some chilli heads here lol
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hello RGN and welcome to the vine, if you like chili's you'll fit in just fine here, there's lots of use grow them and also lots trying them for the first time this season, do you like the mild one's or the atomically hot ones? If you use the search button you'll find lots of advice on chilli's.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                        Hello RGN and welcome to the vine, if you like chili's you'll fit in just fine here, there's lots of use grow them and also lots trying them for the first time this season, do you like the mild one's or the atomically hot ones? If you use the search button you'll find lots of advice on chilli's.
                        I need mild and hot. It's crucial to get the flavour of the chilli and the heat.

Hopefully the one's I sowed yesterday will give a good combination. I might nip out and get some sweet chilli's too and have a look for some ginger with green shoots.
                        Last edited by Ringo Grumio Nibbler; 31-12-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

G'Day Yorkie! (RGN)

A very warm welcome to you from Down Under! I share your love of cooking although I'm just trained by my Polish mother and cooking shows and cookbooks. We Poles cook up some of the most amazing dishes. They generally don't appear on top menus as they are pheasant food but, oh man, are they delicious as well as being good for you! LOL I have most of my mother's best recipes stored on my computer so we will never lose them. And, of course, happy to share them with whoever might want to try them.

We hope you enjoy it here. We are a very disparate bunch but there's loads of experience on this board ready to help out with advice if needed.
                          Happiness is being with the love of your life. If you can't have that, then an unlimited supply of well-rotted manure is a pretty close second!

Comment

Welcome to the vine RGN. Your name reminds me of RINGOS - those snack/crisp things we used to get as children. Anyone know if they're still on the go?
                            A good beginning is half the work.
                            Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Janek View Post
                              G'Day Yorkie! (RGN)

A very warm welcome to you from Down Under! I share your love of cooking although I'm just trained by my Polish mother and cooking shows and cookbooks. We Poles cook up some of the most amazing dishes. They generally don't appear on top menus as they are pheasant food but, oh man, are they delicious as well as being good for you! LOL I have most of my mother's best recipes stored on my computer so we will never lose them. And, of course, happy to share them with whoever might want to try them.

We hope you enjoy it here. We are a very disparate bunch but there's loads of experience on this board ready to help out with advice if needed.
                              I'll look forward to reading your recipes bonny lad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X