Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Kent!

Hello!

Have well and truly got the growing bug! Moved house 18 months ago and found a abandoned asparagus bed surrounded by masses of nettles and bindweed. My FIL planted rows and rows and rows of parsnips last year to tame the weeds but so much I couldn't even cope with the smell so this year has been very different. Lots of old scaffolding boards and slabs and with precise direction, I am now the proud owner of 9 raised beds full of lovely vegetables growing beautifully. Read a few books, watched edible garden on bbc 2, bought the all year round vegetable selection from sarah raven to start me off but I keep finding more seeds and now have loads of pots with more vegetables in. Luckily, my dad is a nurseryman so have even managed to shoehorn in a few fruit bushes!
    Loving the evening potter once daughter is in bed with a mug of tea or large glass of wine, and as I have just started my first batch of elderflower fizz, hoping this will be the tipple for the potter very soon.
    Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and pick your brains as I know I have a few beds mixed up and am getting a bit panicky about crop rotation and where to put what overwinter.......

Welcome to the vine rachyrach. Sounds like a cracking setup, theres plenty of advice available on the vine so feel free to either search or ask but most of all enjoy.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello Rachyrach and welcome to the Vine. The stroll around the veg with a large glass of wine sounds ideal, I'll join you if I may, when it stops raining! Loads of advice to be had on here and sometimes it is really nice to 'compare notes' with other growers. You can always pop into the Chit Chat thread for a cup of tea and a slice of cake if you have the time! Enjoy!
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome to the Vine from me too Rachyrach. Where abouts in Kent are you? As you can see I'm from a village just outside Ashford.

Comment

Originally posted by rachyrach View Post
          Hello!

Have well and truly got the growing bug! Moved house 18 months ago and found a abandoned asparagus bed surrounded by masses of nettles and bindweed. My FIL planted rows and rows and rows of parsnips last year to tame the weeds but so much I couldn't even cope with the smell so this year has been very different. Lots of old scaffolding boards and slabs and with precise direction, I am now the proud owner of 9 raised beds full of lovely vegetables growing beautifully. Read a few books, watched edible garden on bbc 2, bought the all year round vegetable selection from sarah raven to start me off but I keep finding more seeds and now have loads of pots with more vegetables in. Luckily, my dad is a nurseryman so have even managed to shoehorn in a few fruit bushes!
          Loving the evening potter once daughter is in bed with a mug of tea or large glass of wine, and as I have just started my first batch of elderflower fizz, hoping this will be the tipple for the potter very soon.
          Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and pick your brains as I know I have a few beds mixed up and am getting a bit panicky about crop rotation and where to put what overwinter.......
          Hello Rach
          Welcome to the group. Whereabouts are you ??
          Your set up sounds great - l wish you the very best of luck with it.
          l'm also thinking about Elderflower fizz. l've made 3 litre bottles of strong cordial already but l'm having problems finding champagne yeast - l've even tried ebay !! Do you - or anyone - have any idea where l can find some please ? l'm just outside Canterbury.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X