Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salutations from Sunny Sussex

Hi all

I found your forum about two weeks ago, have been reading ever since and have now decided to join, despite my wife's dispairing looks.

We moved into our house last year, so this is the first year we have tried to grow anything....ever. So far so good ( I think).

I am trying smallish quantities of the following:

Potatos (Bambino, Maris P & King Edward)
    French Beans
    Sweet Peas
    Spouting Brocolli
    Carrots
    Radish
    White & Red Onions
    Sweetcorn
    Spinach Beet
    Various Salad Leaves
    Courgette
    Cucumber
    Various Tomatos

If I was to post some pics at some point, I'd much appreciate some feedback on where I am going right (or most likely wrong).

I've been looking for a new hobby for a while now - I think I have found it.

You seem like a great bunch, so looking forward to talking with you..

Hello and welcome to the Vine! Look forward to seeing your pictures and good luck with the growing.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by welshboypaul View Post
      Hi all

I found your forum about two weeks ago, have been reading ever since and have now decided to join, despite my wife's dispairing looks. I've been looking for a new hobby for a while now - I think I have found it.
      Welcome to the Vine Paul - get ready for more despairing looks, It turns into more a way of life than a hobby.

Comment

Welcome to the vine WBP, your new hobby will soon become an addiction.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Welcome to the vine Bigmally's right it is more than a hobby \o/
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Welcome to the vine! As a fellow gardener in their first season of growing I advise you to keep confident - you will learn as you go along, and what you don't pick up from trial and error.. well, that's what we're all here for

Comment

Hi and welcome WBP, it's especially good to here from anyone from Sussex - growing on chalk can be fun - beware those spiralled carrots!
              Where abouts in the county are you?

Comment

Originally posted by shoreham_steve View Post
                Hi and welcome WBP, it's especially good to here from anyone from Sussex - growing on chalk can be fun - beware those spiralled carrots!
                Where abouts in the county are you?
                Hi Steve,

Live in Worthing - we're practically neighbours. I haven't got down to chalk in the garden - my father in law thinks that the area where we live used to be market gardens, so the soil seems good quality and pretty deep.

Would take any shape of carrots in my first year - straight or spiral...

Thanks for the welcome by the way..

Comment

Ah - Worthing, just along the coast. You're lucky to have a decent layer of soil, Paul.
                  We've been in this house for nearly 5 years. I put in some raised beds a 3 years ago and I'm gradually building up the soil level to something sensible. Throughout the rest of the garden, we have a chalk pan about 15cm down and pebble sized bits of chalk mixed with the top soil.
                  It's a challenge!! This year I'm growing extra carrots in an old recycling box.
                  Best of luck.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X