Hello Everyone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone

Hi all, New to the Grapevine. We have made ourselves a raised bed this year and it is full of summer stuff, toms, courgettes, carrots, lettuce, beans . . . . I could go on but my question is what to plant so that we can be self sufficient throughout the year. i have no idea what to plant when all this produce has finished any ideas please?

Hi there Chip - welcome to the vine.

It is time to start planting the winter brassicas - sprouts, cabbage, etc and sowing the oriental greens - mizuna, mibuna and pak choi. You also can do some sowings of carrots, radishes and lettuces - some of these can keep going all winter under cloches.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello Chip and welcome to the vine.
      As Jeanie has said you need to sow your winter greens, I've sown lots of Scarlet Kale...well to be honest I've sown lot & lots of kale (I like kale ).
      Spicy salad leaves are good to sow for winter...I had some that kept really well just outside the back door.
      Later on you could sow broad beans for over wintering, that way you should get a nice early crop next spring.

P.S...If you can pop your Location on to your profile it'll make it easier for people that live near you to give you better information, what's good for Scotland might not be any good for Devon...if you see what I mean?
      Last edited by ginger ninger; 27-06-2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Chip, welcome to the Madhouse. Please add your location to your profile, it helps no end when giving advice. Leeks can go in for the winter if you like them, plus kale and PSB. How big is your bed?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Hi Chip, welcome to the Madhouse. Please add your location to your profile, it helps no end when giving advice. Leeks can go in for the winter if you like them, plus kale and PSB. How big is your bed?
          Hi many thanks for the reply the bed is five foot by three foot will put location on too. Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
            As Jeanie has said you need to sow your winter greens, I've sown lots of Scarlet Kale...well to be honest I've sown lot & lots of kale (I like kale ).
            Spicy salad leaves are good to sow for winter...I had some that kept really well just outside the back door.
            Later on you could sow broad beans for over wintering, that way you should get a nice early crop next spring.

P.S...If you can pop your Location on to your profile it'll make it easier for people that live near you to give you better information, what's good for Scotland might not be any good for Devon...if you see what I mean?
            Hi many thanks for reply will put location on profile cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post

Hi many thanks for the great advice will pop location on as advised. Cheers for now footie on!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                Hi there Chip - welcome to the vine.

It is time to start planting the winter brassicas - sprouts, cabbage, etc and sowing the oriental greens - mizuna, mibuna and pak choi. You also can do some sowings of carrots, radishes and lettuces - some of these can keep going all winter under cloches.
                Hi many thanks for reply. Wil lpop location on as advised. Cheers.

Comment

Hello Chip and welcome to the Vine!
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X