Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Portugal

Hi all

I live in Portugal and love germinating seedlings from fruit and veg that we've eaten. The sun and heat has helped a lot! Have had some trouble with some growing plants and would love your help and suggestions. Am looking forward to being part of this forum

Portugal, how lovely! What I wouldn't give for a bit of sunshine! Whereabouts are you? And are you Portuguese, or an ex-pat?

Welcome to the Vine. What are you growing at the moment? I'm assuming you'll be growing a few things we just don't have the climate for?

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, lovely friendly, helpful place.
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Welcome to the vine Charlsvdb - I'd offer you a cuppa tea but it would be cold by the time it got to you!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

A very warm welcome to the Vine Charlsvdb!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine- from the same side of the Channel!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you Caro, Jeanied, Florence Fennel & Nicos for such a warm welcome!

Caro - I was born here & live on the Lisbon coast. What I've grown are all in pots, my biggest achievement are my two avocado plants though one has recently picked up some sort of disease. Have just posted about it, hope someone can opinionate, to help me salvage it!
            A couple weeks ago I cracked open some cherry pitts and one has actually germinated, very exciting! It has been as hot as 41 - 44 degrees here - great for seeds, a little painful for the rest of us though!

Jeanied, I couldn't live without PG Tips!

Nicos - sallut! Has it been as hot there in France?

Hope to hear a little about all of you as well & what everyone grows
            Last edited by Charlsvdb; 31-07-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlsvdb View Post
              Nicos - sallut! Has it been as hot there in France?

I'm in the North....33C has been hot enough for me!! ( and after -15C this winter tis all a bit extreme for my poor garden and potager!)

I just need to find some plants now which can cope wih both extremes!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Charlsvdb and a warm but late welcome to the vine from me as well. Would it be possible to swap you a little of your sunshine for some of my rain please .

Comment

Hi Ginger

Thank you for your lovely welcome!

We were doing so well in the mid 20's ... and then it crept up into the 30's and now its galloped into 40 degrees - day & night - the air is so thick and dry, some plants have simply given up altogether :S

Rain is very welcome!

Comment

Hi Charlsvdb I'd like to welcome you to the vine too
                    Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                    Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                    -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Bom Dia Charlsvdb, e boas vindas.

I worked in Brejos de Azeitaio near Setubal for 3 years in the early 80's growing tomatoes in Estufas.

My nick name came from Portugal, as my friends use to call me 'O Rei Dos Tomates.

I only wish my portuguese was as good as your English though. it will be nice to hear about what you grow, especially in all that heat.

Mr TK
                      Mr TK's blog:
                      http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                      2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Thank you Currysniffa, I'm loving your name!

Mr TK ...ou melhor em Português, Senhor Rei dos Tomates! Laugh out loud funny, what a fantastic title - especialmente em PT Muito obrigada pelas boas vindas!

I tell you, the world is a small place! I am English, though born & live in PT. Though we don't live there permanently, our family home is on the edge of Setubal, at the start of Serra da Arrabida. Did you know any of the English congregation whilst out here? Would love to hear more about you, will have so much to talk about!

In terms of gardening, I am an amateur & so far only germinated various seeds from fruit that we've eaten, all of these in pots. To name a few: granny smith apple seeds, tomato seeds, nectarine pit, two avocado pears, mango pit, lemon & tangerine pips and lastly a 3 week old cherry seed, which has not fried or shrivelled up yet - find it all fascinating.

Look forward to hearing more about everyone on the vine! Everyone is so friendly and welcoming

Comment

Originally posted by Charlsvdb View Post
                          Thank you Currysniffa, I'm loving your name!

Mr TK ...ou melhor em Português, Senhor Rei dos Tomates! Laugh out loud funny, what a fantastic title - especialmente em PT Muito obrigada pelas boas vindas!

I tell you, the world is a small place! I am English, though born & live in PT. Though we don't live there permanently, our family home is on the edge of Setubal, at the start of Serra da Arrabida. Did you know any of the English congregation whilst out here? Would love to hear more about you, will have so much to talk about!

In terms of gardening, I am an amateur & so far only germinated various seeds from fruit that we've eaten, all of these in pots. To name a few: granny smith apple seeds, tomato seeds, nectarine pit, two avocado pears, mango pit, lemon & tangerine pips and lastly a 3 week old cherry seed, which has not fried or shrivelled up yet - find it all fascinating.

Look forward to hearing more about everyone on the vine! Everyone is so friendly and welcoming
                          Charlsvdp

Portinho da Arrabida is still one of my favourite places in the world, my friends had a beach hut there before they were all knocked down. We would always go down on the weekends for a swim and lunch in the restaurant there, throwing bread for the small fish to feed on.
                          Sometimes we would buy some sardines on the way there and cook them on the beach on a small BBQ.

I never met many English when I was there, all my friends were the locals. What great people the Portuguese are, so friendly and welcoming.

I had 20 staff growing tomatoes, so soon picked up the lingo. So many stories, so many happy times. I have stared to write a book about it and will get around to finishing it one day. It is titled 'O Rei Dos Tomates'

The first time I went back after 12 years, about 20 people came up to me in Brejos to say hi and the first thing one of my closest friends asked was 'have you eaten yet?' as it was near lunch time, seeing I had not eaten, he promptly took me to the nearest restaurant for lunch!

But I have to say my life in France now is wonderful, although my French is non existent!

For those that would like to see what I am talking about what this:
                          YouTube - Portinho da Arrábida
                          Last edited by Tomatoking; 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM.
                          Mr TK's blog:
                          http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                          2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X