Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found this forum.

Hello.

Someone was kind enough to link to my website and my visitor stats showed the link.

I wouldn't, normally, post a 'hello' type thread because I'm wary of being thought to just be wanting to promote myself but, in that other thread, Jeanied asked me to introduce myself.

I was the Poison Garden Warden at the Alnwick Garden until 2008 when I left to set up my own site.

I first started researching poison plants in 2003 and, to me, it's a really fascinating subject. I've spent a large part of my own time since then studying these plants and researching the stories (fact, fiction and folklore) associated with them.

It got so I had so much information which couldn't be fitted into the short tours given at Alnwick that I wanted to find ways of providng more of it to people.

I'm not a botanist or horticulturalist. Ten years ago, my wife's favourite way to describe my gardening knowledge was that I knew pansies and daffodils and every other plant had to be related to one of those two.

My key philosophy is that just because a plant is poisonous it doesn't have to be harmful. It's only when 'we' start (ab)using the plants that the real harm comes. When people ask me what is the most dangerous thing in the garden my answer is always 'the gardener'.

I don't think I'll have much to offer to many of the discussions here but, if I notice a thread about poison plants, I'll try and contribute.

Welcome to the Vine thepoisongarden, you're most welcome

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine thepoisongarden
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 05-09-2010, 09:39 AM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome to the vine (again!) thepoisongarden - I'm sure you are going to be a great person to have around when people post a picture of a plant saying 'what is this' and 'can I feed it to my chickens'?!
        I was mystified by a beautiful white / lilac blue flower growing in my garden 20 years ago. It turned out to be a datura. Been a fan of daturas ever since!
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks, Jeanied,

I always have a chuckle when the annual 'Hallucinogenic South American plant found in local garden!' stories appear in the papers.

Comment

Hi welcome to the Vine. I am sure you will have loads to contribute. This place can be quite addictive in its own way.
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi Poisongarden. Welcome to our little community. Please feel free to join in with any of the threads you fancy sticking your oar into. We are mainly a very friendly bunch and welcome chat as well as advice and questions.

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine!
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome.

I'm not sure I'll have much to contribute here. You all seem far too nice to be interested in things like which poison is undetectable, which is quick and which unpleasant. Those are the sort of questions I often get.

Comment

Don't you believe it mate, catch me on a day when MrH and the lads have upset me..................................
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                      Don't you believe it mate, catch me on a day when MrH and the lads have upset me..................................
                      ....or what can I slip into my boss's coffee when he has been particularly nasty....
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello and welcome from me as well. What a fascinating subject, no doubt we'll be picking ya brains for answers to all sorts of questions to do with poisonous plants. One of my favourites is the "Wild Fox glove" I think there beautiful. I have a small pot of them in my garden and they attract so many bees.

Comment

ginger ninger

The folklore says that fairies shelter in foxgloves because the downward pointing flowers act as a roof.

As you say, bees love them which allowed a friend of mine to convince his grandchildren that the buzz was the fairies snoring.

Comment

Originally posted by thepoisongarden View Post
                            The folklore says that fairies shelter in foxgloves because the downward pointing flowers act as a roof.

As you say, bees love them which allowed a friend of mine to convince his grandchildren that the buzz was the fairies snoring.
                            Oh I LOVE that!!!
                            Welcome...
                            Aspiring grow-your-own good-life goddess...

Comment

Hi there PG..and welcome to the Vine!

I for one look forward to any info you just want to share with us

One question I have often wondered about whilst we're on the subject of foxgloves.....
                              I react very badly to touching any part of a foxglove- so much so I can't have them anywhere near my garden in case I accidentally weed a small seedling. ( racing heart- dizzyness,metalic taste, nausea)...and that's from one second of touching them...is there anything else which can be handled in the same way which would counteract that??
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X