Weed control round the fruit bushes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed control round the fruit bushes

We (my husband and I) took over a north west london allotment at the beginning of Juy - at the peak of the thistle and dandelion season. We have been getting rid of them ever since!
    I would welcome advice on how to plan the soft fruit bed. We will build a cage before it gets too cold, but my pre-occupation now is what to do with the ground. The fruit bushes are in - gooseberries, and currants - but should I cover the ground with weed control fabric and what should I put on top of this? There are piles of woodchip going free - would this be good to keep down the weeds, as a mulch on top of the fabric? Or will it harbour pests etc? Or should I just leave the earth bare (and wait for the annual weeds to colonise in the spring?? In fact they are still looking pretty vigorous!)

I'd use the free woodchip - but straight on the soil so when you do get perennials growing through you can dig them out. Weed control fabric I only use when I'm going to have paths.

Comment

You could grow a beneficial cover crop under the fruit: my favourite is limnanthes
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

One tip I discovered in a book - sow forget-me-nots round the base of your raspberries - this controls the weeds, encourages beneficial insects, looks pretty and self seeds as well.

Great minds, Two Sheds!
        Last edited by Jeanied; 06-11-2010, 08:06 AM.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I have chives and limanthes and strawberries around the base of my rasps...I was going to write that before but had to retrieve banana bread out of the oven!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X