Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester newbie

Hi from not-so-sunny Manchester

currently restricted to growing edibles on my balcony for me and my tortoise, but also garden at weekends at my parents' large garden. Can't wait to get my own garden soon. Going to stuff it with beans and sunflowers!

Hi and welcome to the vine. Not sunny here today either
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Welcome to the vine - not sunny, but at least not raining here.
      Beans and sunflowers is good!
      In the meantime it is amazing what you can grow in a small space with a bit of juggling!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine!

I read you have a tortoise???aww...I used to have one many many years ago- called Nij- short for Nijinski after the race horse!!...he adored defrosted frozen peas!!!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks!

My tortoise loves nasturtiums, mallows and weeds so I have pots of clover, dandelions and plantain stuffed between my peas, beans and salad leaves.

Tortoises are great for eating up all your weeds. I recommend one for every gardener. You can throw their poo on the compost heap too!

Comment

hello and welcome to the vine Gearoid and tortoise
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello there Liverpool is freezing at the moment. Brrr.

What sort have things have you been growing on your balcony ?

Comment

Hello Gearoid and tortoise.
                  Welcome to the vine from a fellow Manchester resident. I'm sure you'll like it here. There's lots of knowledgeable folks all happy to help with any questions as well as having fun in the general chitchat area.

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                    What sort have things have you been growing on your balcony ?
                    This summer I had tomatoes, aubergine, sweet pepper, broad beans, bush peas, bush beans, swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, carrots, radish. And some nice weeds and flowers for the tortoise.

There's hardly room to move! It's stuffed with pots of bulbs at the moment.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine from me too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearoid View Post
                        This summer I had tomatoes, aubergine, sweet pepper, broad beans, bush peas, bush beans, swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, carrots, radish. And some nice weeds and flowers for the tortoise.

There's hardly room to move! It's stuffed with pots of bulbs at the moment.
                        That sounds awesome. How did you get on with the beans and the aubergine? I was too scared to try the latter this year

Edit: what are bush peas?
                        Last edited by Florian; 15-11-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

my tortoise was called speedy .... he used to visit my next door neighbour, and sit under her chair while she fed him strawberries .....

and when i lived in greece, we had loads of wild tortoises, which we used to feed at the same time each day .... so cool having them wandering round waiting to see what yummies we had for them .... we had a massive forest fire, and we went out and rescued about 200 of them, which had no chance of escape when the fire hit .... was a good feeling

is thinking about all the garden i have that i haven't time for .... feel free to come and grow stuff in mine lol
                          Last edited by lynda66; 16-11-2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                            How did you get on with the beans and the aubergine? I was too scared to try the latter this year

Edit: what are bush peas?
                            Well I call 'em bush peas anyway. They're peas that only grow about 30cms or so and don't need training up a pole. The downside is that they tend to crop all in one go so you can't keep picking like a climbing pea, but they were fine. I grew the Meteor pea.

The beans were great. I grew tendergreen and next year I have a couple of heirloom varieties to try.

My aubergine wasn't quite as successful. It got attacked by aphids which is just about the only pest I have to deal with up on the balcony, but they destroyed the leaves so the fruit didn't develop well. Ah well.
                            Last edited by Gearoid; 16-11-2010, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the vine from me as well. xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X