Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete beginner from Cornwall

Hello everyone

Have joined the forum as I am a wife and new mother that has a lot more time on my hands and wanted to start growing our own veg, fruit and herbs to become self sufficient.

I need help from all of you as this is something I really want to achieve but I am a complete novice.

Also a shout out to anyone who lives in Cornwall could you please let me know what grows successfully down here.

Thanks guys

Sam

Hi and welcome, ask away, lots of people here willing to help
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by samjacques View Post
      Cornwall could you please let me know what grows successfully down here.
      Almost anything - you're quite warm down there aren't you?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes I would say it is prob the warmest part of the country.

Comment

I have been reading a bit on the internet, as its my first growing year would it be better for me to buy plants rather than sow the seeds, or is that a lazy way out? I have a 4ft by prob 8ft raised bed, that my husband made for me. Should I now plan it all out? Honestly not sure where to go next.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine. Look back on the "What I did today" thread and "What to sow this month", use the search button and generally have a good look around, you'll gather lots of knowledge, or go on to "New Shoots" and ask away, everyone is more than willing to give you advice. You'll see you've still time to sow seed, or to order plants. I wish you very happy growing and a very happy stay now you've joined us on here!
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello Sam and welcome to the vine, have a read at this thread about Square foot gardening:-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ness_1035.html

it will give you some idea how to plan your raised bed.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by samjacques View Post
                would it be better for me to buy plants rather than sow the seeds
                You're starting early in the year, so sow seeds It's not hard, but is obviously a bit more labour intensive than just buying a plant and plonking it in a hole.

Don't go mad in your first year. Make a list of what you like to eat, how many plants you think you'll eat (ie don't sow all 250 of those tomato seeds) and do a rough planting plan.

I wouldn't worry about exact spacing etc. If you want a plan, just divide your plot into 4 (legumes, roots, alliums, brassicas) and go from there.
                After your first year you'll have more of an idea of how to proceed - more of this, less of that, etc
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Sam and welcome to the vine! Good advice from people who have posted already - grow what you fancy eating. To get to self sufficiency is going to need a bit more space than 4ft by 8ft but I reckon you could grow quite a bit to harvest this year!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X