Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in Manchester

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, just thought I would say hello. I'm in Manchester, and was just recently lucky enough to get an allotment! I'm originally from rural Maine, in the states, so moving somewhere where land is sparse (to say the least) was a bit of a shock.

Hoping to learn a bit about when to plant here in the UK. (At this time of year in Maine, there's several feet of snow on the ground!) And what kind of pests/diseases to look out for.

Hope to get to know you guys!

All the best,

Amanda
    http://harpurhey.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the vine Amanda, there's a load of helpful peeps on here, so ask away with any questions and Im sure you will get plenty of replies!

Whereabouts in Manchester are you? We're on the Western edge in Partington, so fairly local, depending whereabout you are!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi Mrs Dobby! It's good to see someone local-ish already! I may be asking your advice about when it's safe to plant!

We live in Castlefield and work in the city centre, but the allotment is in Harpurhey. So pretty central, really.

I think I'll need the help! My boyfriend and I are both in our mid-twenties... so not a lot of collective gardening experience, really. My grandmother grew and sold veggies from her home, but I only remember bits and pieces from her... I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions as we get going!

-Amanda
      http://harpurhey.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shangrilyla View Post
        Hoping to learn a bit about when to plant here in the UK.
        Let your seed pack be your guide
        If you have a greenhouse or a sunny windowsill you can start a few weeks earlier than the pack states.

Have a look on the What I Did Today thread to see what people are planting
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-01-2011, 02:30 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Amanda - you could do worse than follow Mrs Dobby's blog - it is fascinating!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Welcome to the vine Amanda. I'm also in Manchester so not far from you. I'm sure that you will get lots of good advice from friendly people on here. I know I have.

Comment

Hello Amanda and a very warm welcome to the Vine!
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine from me as well. xx

Comment

Hello Amanda, Welcome to the vine
                  Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                  Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                  -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                    Welcome to the vine Amanda - you could do worse than follow Mrs Dobby's blog - it is fascinating!
                    Lol, thanks Jeanied, Ill slip ya that tenner later! lol!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Originally posted by shangrilyla View Post
                      Hi Mrs Dobby! It's good to see someone local-ish already! I may be asking your advice about when it's safe to plant!

We live in Castlefield and work in the city centre, but the allotment is in Harpurhey. So pretty central, really.

I think I'll need the help! My boyfriend and I are both in our mid-twenties... so not a lot of collective gardening experience, really. My grandmother grew and sold veggies from her home, but I only remember bits and pieces from her... I'm sure I'll be asking loads of questions as we get going!

-Amanda
                      Hi Amanda,

Not too far away then, bout 10 miles or so!

Nothing wrong with starting in mid twenties (wish I had), we're in our early 40's, and have had the plots for 5 years now, like you my Grandparents were the ones who grew veg, atill remember helping Nan in the veg patch all those years ago!

As for times to plant, well, last frost is supposedly in late May, but for the past few years its been more like April, so planting times are pretty much as specced on the seed packet, if you have a greenhouse, then you can get away a bit earlier, we usually have toms and peppers in the greenhouse in April. Spuds go in at Easter, but be careful to earth them up (to protect from frost) until May, and to cover with fleece if a late frost is forecast!

HTH
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X