X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davetheforker View Post
    so you are a no dig gardener are you
    I am a no-dig gardener by default: I have a knackered back

Apart from that, the "forest garden" makes sense to me: nobody digs in forests, yet giant trees grow... there must be something in that
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
      we do get down a few times a year as one of my sons lives in Headley Down near Grayshott. Park Barn and Bellfields ring bells in the old grey matter.
      Headley down is just up the road from me
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'll have to pop in to your Garden centre its not Secretts is it. I usually do a tour when I'm down.

Comment

No it's not Secretts, its the one in Brook, near Grayswood

Would be good to see you
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I always enjoy looking at the Farnham Road allotments, when I'm stuck in traffic at the top of the hill, as I enter Guildford.

I am a no-dig and love it, although I have to know that any new bed is totally dug over first and cleared of any roots, weeds and stones.

I know Bellfields and Slyfield, shame they didn't provide allotments for all the houses at Park Barn.

Comment

ooooo you lucky thing 2 plots! I have been on a waiting list for over 5 years now and Im not that much closer to getting one. Hubby keeps getting stressed at the increasing loss of lawn I keep pinching for my fruit and veg.

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                I'll have to pop in to your Garden centre its not Secretts is it. I usually do a tour when I'm down.
                secretts? that would be telling would'nt it
                i dont suffer with insanity i enjoy every minute of it

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
                  I always enjoy looking at the Farnham Road allotments, when I'm stuck in traffic at the top of the hill, as I enter Guildford.

I am a no-dig and love it, although I have to know that any new bed is totally dug over first and cleared of any roots, weeds and stones.

I know Bellfields and Slyfield, shame they didn't provide allotments for all the houses at Park Barn.
                  there are some on the aldershot rd the other side of park barn, but the waiting list is a lot longer for those, plus they are clay so a lot heavier as i said earlier its a sandy loam at bellfields so a lot lighter
                  i dont suffer with insanity i enjoy every minute of it

Comment

My plot is clay and yes it's a tough dig first time, but since I've adding so many layers using the no-dig approach, I'm really pleased my starting point is clay. As I get excellent fruit and veg, and I don't have to constantly water throughout the summer.

Whereas I strip along a boundary fence that runs alongside a pubic footpath and road, is sandy loam, and regardless of how much leaf mulch and stuff I add, it just won't hold onto any moisture. So I just have a range of flowering plants along there, but they don't do as well as, the same plants on my clay garden soil.

Just as well there are lots of soil types to suit us all.

Comment

Welcome to the vine davetheforke, I'm sure you'll fit right in
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by davetheforker View Post
                        hi all,thought i would say hello to all of you before bombarding your forum with all sorts of questions and mayhem.
                        im a plasterer with two allotments and one dodgy leg,it was great fun two years ago was the first year of owning an allotment, earthing up potatoes on one leg, crutches in one hand and hoe in the other.

i must of enjoyed it because im still there,probably more now anyway im looking forward to chatting to you all.
                        Welcome

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X