New and inexperienced

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and inexperienced

Hi, I am relatively new to growing veg, this is my second year. I have been trying to find sites that can offer useful advice and can often spend hours on the web and not find the advice I need. I thought this site looked interesting and hope it will be helpful. I had some success last year but a lot of failures too! My onions were little bigger harvested than when I planted them! My celery was small and tough and my beetroots were no bigger than a golf ball! I also lost much of my winter crop with the heavy and persistent snow this winter. I could use all the help and advice there is to try and improve my harvest this year. I really enjoy growing the veg but would like a little more edible produce for all my hard work and a little less laughter from my hubby who thinks the miniature size or unusual shape of my veg is hilarious

Welcome to the madhouse Poppy
    I tried to grow beetroot for the last few years,can't get the b***ers to grow.My onions weren't too big either.I had lovely toms(and lots of them),chillies,cukes,beans and tatties.Some things grow better one year,some worse.Don't let your husband discourage your efforts,own grown veg ALWAYS tastes better than bought one.
    Happy growing

Comment

Thanks, I will just keep trying, have learned a lot already and know overcrowding was a big issue. At least my hubby is helping me extend my plot so I hope that will help. I did well with my tomatoes although I had loads of green ones left at the end of the season so made chutney for the first time which was really nice.

Comment

Hi there- and Welcome to the Vine!

You'll find peeps on here very,very helpful and friendly.
        The fact you are happy to spend hours on the web is brill- cos this place is highly addictive!

Could you please add your rough location to your profile so any advice given will be more specific to you. (We have Grapes from all over the world on here)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine Poppy! It is really friendly here and you can ask all you like, you'll get plenty of good advice and encouragement. Don't let anyone put you off - you'll soon be harvesting lovely veg!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Poppy
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome poppy

I am a newbbie too and everyone is so helpful and understanding. There is great advice on offer and good banter too. There are serious discussions and some heated debate.

Get stuck in........Roy

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hello Poppy and another very warm welcome to the vine from Jinny cat & Me as well.

Comment

Hi Poppy, welcome to the Vine from me too.

Good luck for this season.

paul.
                  Help Wildlife.
                  Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Originally posted by poppysocks View Post
                    have learned a lot already and know overcrowding was a big issue.
                    It's very tempting to squeeze in as much as you can, but often a false economy, so to speak

Less sometimes means more
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine from me too poppysocks (cool name!). Don't be afraid to ask questions and join in, we're very friendly here.

Comment

Many thanks for the warm welcome. Glad you like my name, it's my cats nickname!

Comment

It may be a daft question but I have noticed everyone has a growing type under their name, mine is germinator, what does this mean?

Comment

As your posts increase, the growing type under your name will change to reflect your experience (in theory!)
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the Madhouse!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X