Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi de hi!

Hi All!

I'm new here both reading and signing up. Stumbled accross the site via agoogle search about a Melon Pear plant and I found some good stuff about it. I've had a browse around all everybody seems friendly and there seems to be alot of advice giving as well which is good which is why I clicked the Rigister button.

Anyways I've been growing my own fruit / veg / herbs for around 4 years now with varying success (yes I've made the ever classic newbie mistake of growing tomatos right next to cucumbers ). This year is a big year on the growing front for me as I'm aiming to be self sufficient for the 2nd half of the year. I've got a wide array of seeds growing away both in the greenhouse and all over my kitched (luckily the girlfriend is a little hippieish so I get away with it!).

I got into gardening as I've grown up helping my mum out in the garden with various things. I got a little older and discovered a love for cooking which then moved me back to growing my own food to eat!

That's kind of a little about me anyways!

I look forward to mingling!

Jack

Hi Jack, welcome to the Vine. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

paul.
    Help Wildlife.
    Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Jack
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ho di ho Jack and a very warm welcome to the vine from Jinny cat & me. Jump in and have a good old mingle.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Jack - no question too small, so do ask away!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi Jack and welcome to the vine. Good luck with your plan for the later part of the year!
            We caught the bug too - and each Christmas we have only home grown veg with our turkey - our saying goes....if it aint on the plot - it aint on the plate!!!!!!
            Even have our own home made wine and a home made, home 'grown' candle - made by my girls, the bees!

Comment

Hi Jack, a very warm welcome to the Vine and happy growing. There's lots of advice to be had on here and everyone is friendly. Enjoy!
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! I got home to find that I had a delivery of seeds

I can't wait to finish my weeks work now to get in the garden and start to get them into trays!

I love the motto Headfry! It's one that I'd love to be able to say is true of myself before too long, it makes it easier when my better half is a vegi as it means no live stock. You have your own hive then? I'd love to do something like that but got stung one too many times as a kid so tend to keep my distance, am happy for them to be in the garden though as it means my plants grow.

I've already wanted to start planting even more with the short time on here as I've seen the Ginger growing you're all doing and it looks fun!

Comment

I have two bee hives and am very much on the learning curve, tis a little bit steep at times - lol
                  Very sadly I am getting quite allergic to bee stings but I cover up well and take care.
                  I love my bees and worry about them something awful, I know they are just insects (she whispers, in case they hear) but to me they are wonderful and a delight to watch and learn about- totally absorbing!!
                  We are trying to get a 'bee section' here on the vine as there are quite a few very good bee keepers here and there are lot of people like yourself - who are interested or are looking into the possibilities of keeping bees. We already have quite a few posts on the vine about bees and the keeping of them.
                  Have a look around - you never know you could be our next bee keeper !

Comment

I've only a small garden so doubt I'll be the next however I like the idea! What have you managed to do with the produce so far? Just honey or other things also?

Comment

Yes, its just honey at the moment....I am perhaps a little bit of an odd beekeeper in as much as I keep bee because I really like bees
                      The honey I get is a happy by product and not seen by me as £££££'s (though there is nothing wrong in that - we all have our reasons to keep bees)
                      If my girls are happy and healthy that's more than plenty enough for me
                      I don't push for maximum honey yields. I get enough for Mr HF and myself, a little to give away to family and friends, and a little to sell , which helps cover some of the costs involved - new foundation etc.
                      We each have our reasons for keeping bees and maybe mines a little odd, but none are more right or more wrong than the other

ps would love to have a go at making mead though ......one day perhaps!

goodness I almost forgot - we make our own candles....Christmas is not Christmas without a 'home grown' candle !!!
                      Last edited by Headfry; 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the vine. It really is a place for good advice and many friendly people who will always help you out.

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the Madhouse!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by jrotherham View Post
                            Hi All!

I look forward to mingling!

Jack
                            Pleased to meet you Jack!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Already learnt so much! And after a successful planting last weekend had many many seedlings to re-pot!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X