Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

A big hello to all who read this,

I'm certainly a novice to growing my own, but fast becoming obsessive. I bought my first house last summer (then spent the next four or five months building a summer house from scratch, hence found no time for growing) and have a nice space out back, but with sunlight on one side only. My two 4x8 raised beds are all I have for growing, as well as space for several terracota pots and a couple of growing bags of potatoes. If anyone has any tips of verticle growing, please advise or signpost me to an established thread.

So far my beds are packed full of carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, lettuce, tomatoes, courguettes, cabbages, purple sprouting brocolli and sugar snap peas. I can't wait to eat more than the only available lettuces, and am looking forward to reading loads of advice and tips from all growers - novice to expert - and hopefully planning a planting schedule of more adventurous vegetables for next year. Any ideas??

Look forward to hearing from you, and hope all is gowing well in your patch/allotment/greenhouse
    DigChop

Well hello DigChop and a very warm welcome to the Vine. Loads to learn on here and hopefully you'll share your experiences with us all. Happy Growing.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome to the Vine. Built your own summerhouse eh? Sounds good!

Whereabouts in Kent are you, if you don't mind me asking?
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Welcome to the vine!

Sounds like you're doing really well! Lets have a nose at your summer house then, happy to admit I'm nosey

Comment

Hi DigChop, and welcome to the Vine from another Kentie.

You've certainly got a lot growing! You might like to have a look at our Square Foot Gardening thread, which could be perfect for you . Wishing you a great growing season.

Comment

Hi Mrbadexample,

I'm in sunny Sittingbourne (a lesser known, somewhat short of beautiful, town approximately exidistant between Canterbury and Rochester).

Thanks for the welcome.
            DigChop

Comment

Hi Chrismarks,

Will happily upload a picture when I've got my phone fixed. Sadly, the first up to date phone I ever had, equipped with an unnecessarily excessive 12 mega pixel camera, crashed and died.

Had I not lost the functioning of that phone, I'd certainly have lost all of my friends during boring evenings of showing the 'before, during, during, during, during...during, and after' photos of project summer house.

I now have a renewed incentive to have my phone sent back to 02....someone who's actually asked to see a picture!!!
              DigChop

Comment

Oooh, I like the before during and afters PB's suggestion of square foot gardening (sfg) is great, well done beckster!

Comment

Originally posted by DigChop View Post
                  I'm in sunny Sittingbourne
                  I used to live in Kent, but on the flat sticky-out bit of the south coast. Been a long time since I passed through your neck of the woods.
                  Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                  By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                  While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                  At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Welcome to the mad house!
                    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                      Oooh, I like the before during and afters PB's suggestion of square foot gardening (sfg) is great, well done beckster!
                      Thanks Mr Marks !! (**dips a curtsey**)
                      Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 27-05-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Digchop

Welcome to the vine. What a lovely bunch of grapes we are.

Have a look at my square foot photos in my profile.....it worked great for me as a beginner last year.

Ive just got a greenhouse erected at the lottie. I'm growing toms, chilli, and nukes and it's just great standing under the glass watching the plants grow and feeling the warmth that makes the growth so vigourous.

Enjoy the forums but beware this virtual village is very addictive.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hi Newton,

I checked out your pics. I will give serious consideration to dividing my raised beds into squares next year - initially it looked more organised than I could manage (as a relatively disorganised character), however it might help overcome my problem of forgetting what I've sown where and then plucking out seedlings mistaken for weeds.

Also rather envious of your patio area which looks lovely.

Comment

Welcome to the vine DC
                            Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                            Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                            -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse