Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Greenhouse advise

Hi Everyone

I've been gardening for a number of years and just moved into a new house with a lafge garden so am busy planning the vegetable plot.

I've been a browser of this site and already picked up a few good hints.

I'm after some advise on greenhouses. I've already got a 6ft wide x 8ft long greenhouse and am looking to either add another 6 x 8 or replace it with a larger 8 x 10.

What are your preferences/recommendations.

Should I go for 1 larger model or 2 smaller ones.

Looking forward to your comments

Thanks

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I'd go whichever is cheaper for the area you get.. Another smaller greenhouse will be cheaper us have thought, and will double your space. You could tailor each greenhouse then to specific crops - pots in one that like it hot- grow in the ground in the other.

If you grow in the ground in both you could rotate the ground easier too.

If you have the space, then I'd do the above, as a greenhouse of around 12x16 would be pricey.

You could even take the panels out and put them side by side?

Comment

What about taking the back panel of one and bolt them together so that the door will separate the two and you can then save on heating costs by heating only one section. if you get 8ft wide greenhouses, you can end up with a 12ft or 16 ft by 8 ft greenhouse. you could also remove the glass from the connecting frame to create one big space(although I would leave the metalwork in for structural strength) This way, you could then convince your partner that you only have one greenhouse and try and wrangle another from them later

Remember, greenhouses are NEVER big enough!
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hello, I have no advice regarding greenhouses, I'll leave that to the experts ^^^, just came on to welcome you warmly to the Vine!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello Alan and welcome to the vine from Jinny Cat & meee.I personally would go for 2 green houses, that way you can vary what you grow in each. I'm impressed you have room for 2 though .

Comment

Very difficult to marry two greenhouses together as they aren't manufactured with that in mind. From a space point of view, two 8 x 6's are biger than a single 10 x 8. With two you can also grow crops which like different conditions i.e cucumbers and tomatoes which have different optimum requirements and again with two, if you have disease or pest problems, it is easier to isolate. I have a 6 x 4, two 8 x 6's, a 10 x 8 and a 12 x 8. The three smaller ones are at home and the two bigger ones at my allotments along with my polytunnel. I guess I spoil myself but I didn't have to pay for any of the greenhouses.

Comment

Wow. Freecycle? You must have a few plots or a very large garden!

Comment

First one was a gift from an aunt who was moving house and yes the rest have either been freecycle or the freebie advertising mag. I have three half plots and a fair sized garden at home but no veg patch there, just the greenhouses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X