Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning all

Morning all.

Thought I should sign up and say hello; I've been taking guidance and tips from several sites including this on without ever contributing or joining in (shameful!).

So anyway, I'm Jamie, 26, from Grantham in Lincolnshire. I live with my other (better) half Danielle and we have a beautiful 6 month old daughter called Amelia.

I've been working on transforming the garden of our rented terrace and it's now got a little space for veggies (partial shade due to a massive silver birch); a little patio space for containers (full sun), a border (full sun) and a small patch where last year I (quite successfully) grew runner beans. We also have strawbs dotted about (and in hangers) but the rest is taken up by Danielle's flowers and the my lawn.

I'm already acquiring all the info I'll need for my first ever go at potatoes.

So anyway, "hi" all - I've learnt a lot already and especially have taken to the more 'frugal' tips - money's pretty tight for us so growing our own is fun but will hopefully be more and more rewarding in terms of feeding us up. Can't wait to get involved!
    Last edited by Shoot Five; 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM.

Welcome to the vine.

Some veg are quite colourful, you maybe able to slip a few into the flour beds as well.
    Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Hi Jamie and welcome. I agree with Dead Dogs, mix some veg in with the flowers, beans look lovely mixed with sweet peas and carrot and beetroot leaves are very decorative. Danielle may not even notice!!!

Comment

Hello Jamie welcome to the vine
        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Hi Jamie and welcome. I agree with Dead Dogs, mix some veg in with the flowers, beans look lovely mixed with sweet peas and carrot and beetroot leaves are very decorative. Danielle may not even notice!!!
          She wouldn't mind so long as I don't totally steal "her" space.

We've gone from overgrown wilderness (first winter after moving in) to all lawn and flower beds (first summer), to about 20% veggies (last year) to this year.... Which is still in the planning stages but I'm hoping to be able to harvest little and often all year-round.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Comment

You've clearly worked very hard on the "wilderness" - lots of rewards to come this year in the way of food! How about growing strawberries? There's nothing better than eating them straight from the plant and they're also very pretty.

Comment

Hello Jamie, welcome to the vine.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                You've clearly worked very hard on the "wilderness" - lots of rewards to come this year in the way of food! How about growing strawberries? There's nothing better than eating them straight from the plant and they're also very pretty.
                Ahh we did have some strawbs, I don't know much of them but some are still in the ground with their runners doing whatever they do! I haven't read up on those, I just let She Who Must Be Obeyed grow them.

Delicious though, and we're having some in hanging baskets too this time around.

Also, wilderness is about right! After clearing it shortly after we moved in we discovered things like PATHS which you couldn't even see before! It was mind-boggling. Then I had to dig up and get rid of all the rubble from a previous shed foundations, buried tins of paint etc.

God knows what was going through the minds of the previous tenants!
                Last edited by Shoot Five; 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Jamie - it would be helpful to put your location in your profile so we know whereabouts in the world you are growing!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Jamie
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                      Welcome to the vine Jamie - it would be helpful to put your location in your profile so we know whereabouts in the world you are growing!
                      Amended - I'm in leafy Lincolnshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot Five View Post
                        my first ever go at potatoes.
                        You've chosen a good crop to start with: check out Tattie Man's threads.

Me, I'd go for a lovely salad potato (Pink Fir Apple is my own fave spud). Seed spuds are available in £ shops and Wilkinsons.
                        Keep them sunny, fed & watered, and after about 4 months (summertime) you'll be digging them up
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          You've chosen a good crop to start with: check out Tattie Man's threads.

Me, I'd go for a lovely salad potato (Pink Fir Apple is my own fave spud). Seed spuds are available in £ shops and Wilkinsons.
                          Keep them sunny, fed & watered, and after about 4 months (summertime) you'll be digging them up
                          I'll look into them; I am going to be growing in bags though unfortunately due to lack of space - would you recommend them (as I believe I'm better off sticking to First Earlies) in bags?

Comment

You won't get as big a crop in bags as you would in the ground. PFA are a late maincrop, so they need a longer growth than first earlies ... but are well worth the wait.

Go to your local £ shop and see what they have
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks!

Already reaping the benefits of signing up!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X