New member , new allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member , new allotment

Morning all, after a yr on the local council list I've finally been allocated a 250sqm plot, I've always enjoyed gardening through helping my grandad and particulary love growing fruit n veg, I've got a few hard months work to get the plot fully up and running! Firstly after getting all my essentials sorted, compost bins , manure sorted I'll be starting on sowing potatoes, thinking of going with good old Maris pipers and what I'm asking you, due to not really having a truck full of cash and trying to Beg steal n borrow to get up and running, can any of you reccomend a good honest fairly priced online shop where I can order such seedlings! Many thanks and look forward to your replys!

Mark bailey ... Novice but willing

Welcome to the vine mark. You wil find details of sales posted here when the shops are selling things off. I just bought a bag of pick your own from Dobbie's for £1.99. Jersey royals too! Throuble is I have left them in the greenhouse in the freezing weather!

Happy growing!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hi Mark, welcome to the vine.

The various pound shops have seed potatoes in, the likes of Wilkos, Aldi and Lidl have reasonably (less than a pound) priced seeds in too.

In the allotment forum we have a members "before and after" thread, have a look there for inspiration too - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ter_34360.html

Comment

Hello Mark and welcome. Congratulations on getting an allotment too - its not easy these days. As the others have said. shops like Wilkos and Lidl sell cheap seeds, tubers and fruit bushes in season. They are fine for all your basic seeds - if you want more unusual seeds you need to try the more expensive suppliers. For your first year, I'd stick to cheap and cheerful personally!
        One thing that you can have completely free of charge is help and advice here on the Vine - so ask away!!

Comment

Hello and welcome tothe vine Mark

From this Thursday Aldi are selling veg seeds at 39 pence a packet and there's more to pick from than they show on their website :-

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 19th January 2012
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Mark, welcome to the Vine. I got my seed potatoes yesterday, Swift and Pentland Javelin from the pound shop (8 spuds per pack) and Rooster from Wilkinsons. By the way, you don't say whereabouts you are. It does make a difference to advice, and if you add your location to your profile it will show up on your posts (top right hand side - you can see that I'm in Lowestoft).

Comment

Cheers for quick replys and links, I'm from sunny hull or at least that's what I'm hoping for this summer!!!!! I'll be sure to check out the quid shops then, I was in Wilkos the other day an they do 3 for 2 on all seeds , so I'll prob go there! I'll post up some pics of the plot. When I get the chance,

Once again cheers

Comment

Hello mark welcome to the vine.
                Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello Mark and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

hello welcome in,ref seeds,other sites like ours have a seed catalogue every year,we have kings seeds,cheaper from your site,also postage only £1 per order,and is there another site in your area with it's own onsite shop,if not like others have said,good old wilko's and aldi,for your baisics
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

hiya
                        I'd try your local garden centers as well as online, mine usually has deals on seed potatoes come january/february/march

Comment

Cheers peeps , did a wilko shop yesterday and got some Maris pipers 3.98 for 2.5kg, luckily I knew the lad and he only scanned 2 bags cos he was busy chatting to me! Ha cheap As chips ! Also went in home bargains, b and m, and pound stretcher and all had very very cheap seed offers on!

Comment

That's a lot of potatoes Mark. How big a family are you feeding?

Comment

Welcome Mark. I one year wait for a plot is really good. Well done.

Starting off is the most expensive time and others have given you the heads up about Poundland and the like.

Other ideas are, Freecycle (people are often having a clear out this time of year) and car boot sales (for tools, pots etc and sometimes seeds and plants).

Resist buying too many and at the end of the season, Wyvales have their 50p sales. After that, and Aldi's bargain seeds (I must try to stay away ), you will be like the rest of us with more seeds than we know what to do with.

Check out our Virtual Seed Swap too.

Have fun, we look forward to seeing piccies of your progress.
                              Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                              Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X