sugar

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sugar

My name is Tom. I live in Belgium, and I moved last year to a new house, so I've been starting my garden all over again (0,5 acres).

I'm a hostaholic (I will probably introduce some new hosta over the next years) but I've started also collecting fruit over here. Once I start collecting, I have a tendency to exaggerate... So I've been digging a lot of holes this year (too much according to my wife and my back)...

I was following GrowYourOwnFruitandVeg for some time and finally decided registring

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to the vine.

I know nothing of hostas except that slugs love them.
    Dont know much about anything else either

Comment

Hello Tom and another very warm Welsh welcome to you!! I appreciated your advice with the Kiwiberry and am looking forward to learning more about the rest of your fruit collection! Hostas and I do not seem to agree - they never thrive in my care!

Comment

Hi Tom - welcome to the vine! I love hostas as much as the slugs in my garden do! There were some gorgeous miniature ones in the alpine house at Wisley last time I was there!
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse! Like you, I adore Hostas - I have always found that surrounding them with a good layer of assorted sharp grit keeps the nasties at bay, but you probably know that!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello and welcome.
            And thanks for the mini kiwi advice!

Comment

Hello Tom and a very warm welcome to the Vine
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hello Tom and another very warm Welsh welcome to you!! I appreciated your advice with the Kiwiberry and am looking forward to learning more about the rest of your fruit collection! Hostas and I do not seem to agree - they never thrive in my care!

Well, most of the fruit trees are local varieties. The Argicultural department of a University of Gembloux has been doing research on resistance of heritage cultivars. I've based a large part of my selection on their results (I want to garden 100% organic)

And about slugs and hosta : I do not have a problem with snails/slugs on my hosta. But I'm selecting good cultvars with good substance. That said, when I find slugs/snails on my hosta, they have a problem, beacuse the become food for Trinny and Susannah or Joelle and Laurette (my chicken)

Comment

welcome to the vine tom!

Comment

Welcome to the vine Tom!
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello Tom, welcome to the vine
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos