Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice about vine weevil?

Hi there

I have been finding vine weevil grubs every where even in my seedling tomato plants which I have had to bin.

My garden is small but I do try to grow fruit and veg and I have to use containers I also have a small allotment that I grow spuds brassicas tomatoes beetroot etc on.
    At home I recently planted a dwarf root stock apple tree in a container that the previous year I had grown runner beans in the old soil was full of grubs which I tipped out and let the chooks scratch through for the juicy morsels obviously the trees in fresh soil now but
    I'm sure like my salad bed, peas etc that imminent invasion is inevitable. I have ordered nemetodes cos I can'nt use pesticides on fruit n veg...but my biggest fear is that I will contaminate my allotment when planting out my young brassicas etc . How effective can I hope the nemetodes to be ? and are there any hints or other advice that can help me deal with this problem?

Many thanks folks Debbie

I can't answer your question, but hi Debbie and welcome to the Vine. This section is mainly for saying "Hello", so have a look on Pests and Diseases, use the search button, or post in Vegging Out. Oh and could you put your location into your profile so we can tell what the climate is like in your part of the country?
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

control methods here: Vine weevil / Royal Horticultural Society
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Welcome to the vine DD, hope you get your problem sorted.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine, debbie.
          I hope you get the weevil issue removed.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Thanks TS.....good info here.
          Have seen these before, but had no idea what they were.
          My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
          Revelation 22:2

Comment

Welcome to the vine DD. Vine weevils are quite selective and usually favour pots. I had to rinse out the roots of my strawberry plants before planting on the plot as they were infested with them in the containers, but they eventually recovered.
            Last edited by Jeanied; 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM.
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X