Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with a conifer-filled garden trying to grow veg!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a conifer-filled garden trying to grow veg!

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for a great forum. I have read and learned so much already!

To introduce myself, I'm pretty novice, past experience basically being windowsill gardening - tomatoes, leaves and herbs. We recently moved into a new rented house (exciting!) which has been very very neglected over the years and has a LOT of trees. We are wanting to grow veg. Of course, I've been over enthusiastic and sown a lot already indoors, now we need to find space in the ground! We've dug up the south-facing front lawn for tatties which went OK but the back is a nightmare... tree roots everywhere, plus some sort of shrub/bush that has been spreading through all the gardens, by the looks of it. So, any thoughts on how I proceed? Are raised beds the only answer? Given that we'll only be here for 2, 3 years max, we don't want to invest too much and are on a tight budget anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine Lots of people on here grow in containers (you can get free or very cheap flower buckets from some supermarkets). Raised beds can be made quite cheaply. Have a look around, I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas and I look forward to seeing you around!
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome to the vine CC, as Flo says, use whatever your imagination lets you.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello and welcome.
        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
        Revelation 22:2

Comment

Welcome to the Vine, cafecreme. If you can keep up with the watering in the hot weather, pots and other containers may suit you. Save you too much hard work digging out tree roots and you could take them with you when you move, leaving the garden more or less as you found it.
          Whatever you do, you'll enjoy it!!

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Raised beds can indeed be built on a budget, all you need is a couple of old pallets, some screws, a screwdriver (a cordless drill with screwdriver bit is quicker and easier) and compost. My 8'x8' L-shaped raised bed cost £16.00, that was £2.00 for screws and £14.00 for compost + two free pallets.
            Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X