Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I have recently become addicted to growing veg after my mum gave me some tomato seeds which I planted and put on the workbench in the garage in front of the window( west facing ) not really expecting them to germinate, I now have about 100 tomatoes which r just getting there true leaves, radishes,lettuce,spring onions and I have recently sown some parsnips, beetroot,carrots and leeks all in containers and a big raised bed I built on the workbench in the garage and have added some daylight bulbs that hang down for the Joists. Any advise would be brilliant

Regards

Julie

Welcome, Julie
    You're growing all that in a garage??? Brace yourself for the 'leccie bill for your daylight bulbs! Have you no outside space at all? Carrots and parsnips will need quite a deep root run so as long as they are in containers that are 24cm or more deep, they should be ok. I'd be tempted to put them outside though.
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

is the raised bed in the garage or did you build it in the garage?
      if it's in the garage, get it out of the garage and out it on the ground somewhere
      lettuce radish and spring onions can go outside, sow more in a month or two tohave a continuous crop...
      and welcome

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse Julie, sounds like your gonna fit in just fine................your gonna need a garden & greenhouse PDQ.....100 toms...............make that a huge greenhouse......
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-04-2012, 05:54 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Your daylight bulbs aren't going to be enough, you need to get them outside pdq (not the toms though, it's still too cold)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Julie and welcome. Apart from the tomatoes, I'd put anything in containers outside as soon as you can, they're going to need a lot of light to grow to an edible size. It'll cost you a fortune if you keep them indoors.

Comment

Hi Julie welcome to the Vine, take note of the above posts its all good advice.
              Good luck with your growing season.

paul.
              Help Wildlife.
              Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Hello Julie and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thank u everyone, I have 2 vegetable patches in garden just waiting for the last chance of frost to pass, my raised bed in garage is about 30 cm deep but most vegetables are in containers and pots and I put them outside in the garden when the weather is ok, like today but bring them in at night and I hope to transfer most of the vegetables in to the garden without disturbing there roots to much, trial and error

Regards

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by sibcy View Post
                    radishes,lettuce,spring onions, parsnips, beetroot,carrots and leeks all in containers
                    I have 2 vegetable patches in garden just waiting for the last chance of frost to pass
                    Frost is only a danger to tender plants, eg tomatoes, pumpkins, sweetcorn

The rest of your veg are fine to go outside, you just need to harden them off for a week (out on nice days, back in at night) as you're doing. I've still got radish, winter lettuce, s.onions, beet, carrots & leeks on the lotty where they've stood all winter.

Carrots and parsnips can't be transplanted of course, or the root will fork/split ~ so it's best to sow these direct into their final positions
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just popping in to say hi and welcome to the vine

Comment

Hello and welcome, sibcy.
                        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                        Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hello sibcy and welcome to the vine
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I did plant some broccoli, cabbages, and lettuce in one of vegetable plots about 4 weeks ago but no sign of anything, think I might have planted to early?

Comment

I did plant some broccoli, cabbages, and lettuce in one of vegetable plots about 4 weeks ago but no sign of anything, think I might have planted to early?
                              When you say "plant" I presume you mean you sowed seeds. I usually start mine off in celltrays on the windowsill or in the cold greenhouse. This way you can keep an eye on what is germinating and when they get to a decent size transplant them into the soil.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X