Hi from London

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from London

I started gardening in December last year, so I'm all new to it. I have a small backgarden with not much room for food production, but I've already been eating off it on a daily basis for over a month now

I love to experiment and try new things, see what works and what doesn't, how I can improve it, etc. I'm into organic gardening, permaculture and building microclimates for things to grow faster or grow at all where/when they're not supposed to... coconut palms and such... just kidding. This garden is my little playground.

Currently I have a bed with leafy greens - kale, rocket, mustard greens, spring onions, chickweed, lamb's lettuce - as well as some regular and wild strawberries, spring onions (which I treat as cut-and-come-again leafy greens), garlic (I think some is ready for harvest now). Earlier in April I sowed some peas and planted an oregano bush.

I'm also nursing some tomatoes from seed in my cheap plastic greenhouse, a store-bought "Outdoor Girl" tomato and a grafted sweet pepper, which are now growing happily in their growbags. The tomato is flowering.

As for fruit, in January I bought a kumquat and pineapple guava, which are still in pots, and in February I planted in the ground some raspberries, gooseberries, currants, a kiwi, red grapevine, and a goji berry.
    I'm also hoping to get some passifloras to fruit - caerulea, mollissima, violacea and perhaps even edulis.

In the winter I managed to germinate an avocado, but the root rotted, so I'm going to give it another go.

I look forward to sharing my limited experience and learning from you more experienced food growers

Hello otorongo and welcome! You have an interesting collection of fruit there. Look forward to hearing how much fruit you get from them this year. Id like to grow the edible passionfruits too. Good luck with them

Comment

Hello and welcome sounds like youre doing brilliantly so far - do you have lots in pots ?

francesbean
      My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine. Pop your location into your profile please otorongo and then we'll not forget where you are and what your climate's like
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine otorongo
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome, otorongo.
              Your garden sounds wonderful.
              My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
              Revelation 22:2

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                Pop your location into your profile please otorongo and then we'll not forget where you are and what your climate's like
                Done

Originally posted by francesbean View Post
                do you have lots in pots ?
                Not really, most is in the ground now. I'm going to put some heat-loving plants in pots against the house wall though, that area is a concrete slab but too precious to waste.

I hope the weather improves soon. In this past wet and cool April, the only thing that has grown well is the leafy greens.

Comment

Hi and welcome Otorongo - all those veg sound wonderful! My Kale has gone to seed now, so quite jealous.....
                  If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Welcome to the vine Otorongo!
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi & welcome to the Vine Otorongo.

paul.
                      Help Wildlife.
                      Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Hello otorongo, welcome to the vine
                        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse