Hiya yet another newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya yet another newbie

I joined yesterday with a query about a sickly plum. I've only got a smallish garden about 50 - 60ft. But it's so crammed with stuff it's getting embarrassing! Now I find I'm growing wheat, a gift from some birds I think. There are numerous edibles, herbs and smelly flowers surrounding a little lawn a greenhouse (total novice), plus a large divided raised bed which is a godsend as I have limited mobility. I live in March in Cambs which seems to be in the throws of a monsoon!

Welcome to the vine DG, you've come to the right place for any growing info your heart desires plus you can always join the nutters club if you get bored. An added bonus IMO.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi there DarkGoddess!

Sounds like your garden is great for a beginner, and the raised beds sound very good - what are you going to grow?

It would be helpful if you added your Cambs location to your profile, as it helps when giving advice.

Now that was the sane and rational welcome - but there's another side to this forum - the nut-side! Welcome!
      If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Hello Dark Goddess and welcome. Of the two that you've met so far ^^^^^. I can say, without fear of contradiction, that I am the most sensible
        Draw up a seat, have a look around and somebody will put the kettle on in a minute and make you a cuppa!

Comment

Not that for a moment would I cast aspersions on the character of the lovely VC, but taking it with a pinch of salt comes to mind as far as her being sensible is concerned. Contradiction has never been something to be feared in my book She is definitely a lovely nutter, a bit like the rest of us. Welcome to the Vine
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I consider VC to be my role-model - nuff said about sensible!
            If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

You all say the nicest things! So Dark Goddess, you have a feeling now for what a lovely, friendly group we are. Ask all the questions you like, most of the time you'll have good sound advice in return, but sometimes, someone like me will come along and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen next!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                You all say the nicest things! So Dark Goddess, you have a feeling now for what a lovely, friendly group we are. Ask all the questions you like, most of the time you'll have good sound advice in return, but sometimes, someone like me will come along and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen next!!
                I can vouch for that.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Aww thanks guys, well at the moment my raised bed - which is divided I to four, one bit has potatoes, another peas, sweet peas, broad beans, and one of two outdoor melons - but I'm going to cover them with a coke bottle cos they look cold. Another bit has shallots, the other melon and eventually a courgette. The last bit has acid soil for my blueberries, dunno why but 2 out of my 3 blueberries died. They did really well for 2 seasons and I thought they were more hardy considering their Canadian heritage but obviously not. So the remaining one is a bit low on fruit but I've just replaced one and am after the pink berry advertised in July GYO. I also stuffed in a few strawberries and have discovered some self seeded alpines. Don't get me started with what's in the greenhouse, stuffed in borders and pots - its soooo embarrassing. It's worse than an overstuffed handbag!

Comment

Hello Dark Goddess and welcome. Of the two that you've met so far ^^^^^. I can say, without fear of contradiction, that I am the most sensible
                    Draw up a seat, have a look around and somebody will put the kettle on in a minute and make you a cuppa!
                    Hmph, nobody made me a cuppa! Hey DarkGoddess

Comment

Originally posted by Drea View Post
                      Hmph, nobody made me a cuppa! Hey DarkGoddess
                      What's that, Drea? Did you mention a cuppa. I'll just get my coat and I''l be round in a sec

Comment

someone like me will come along and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen next!!
                        SO YOU SAY LOL,

welcome to the carry on gardening site,you will have a laugh as well as genuine garden answers,

cup of tea......bleeear,yucky do,no will do,
                        Last edited by lottie dolly; 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM.
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hello DG, welcome to the vine
                          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

hey dg, welcome
                            Having an overstuffed handbag is no bad thing, I have a massively understuffed one that I want to turn into a stuffed one

Comment

I think I'm just getting silly - I'm after a patio quince that I saw in the D T Brown catalogue, also some more of their mara de bois strawberries (a strawberry/alpine cross). And considering I hate strawberries with a passion I can eat them till I've ravished the crop. But I'm running out of space, and the guy who helps me with my plot has now taken to staring at me and shaking his head in utter disbelief. Oh well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X