Hello from Sunny Oldham!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Sunny Oldham!

I am a relative newcomer to serious growing, but have been dabbling around the edges for a couple of years in my small front garden in Oldham, NW England.

I am in my late forties, and enjoy making home brewed wines in my spare time, most of which I tend to give away (if SWMBO hasn't got to them first )

Last year I successfully grew raddish, broccoli (lots and lots of broccoli ), some lettuce, beetroot, four raspberries, potatoes in patio bags, a few gooseberries, plenty of fresh herbs and, most successful of all, blackcurrants that ended up as a very nice wine.

I was unsuccessful with sweetcorn, squash, runner beans, rhubarb, strawberries, apples and pears, but I haven't let this put me off.

I have my name down for a half plot on a local allotment, and I am hoping to hear within the next couple of weeks if I have been successful.

I have loads of enthusiasm but very little knowledge and experience so I am hoping to learn loads from the members of the forum.

Andy
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Welcome aboard, Andy.

Which allotments have you applied to? A member on here by the username 'Alldigging' has a plot in Chadderton and one of my kayaking buddies, Chris, is involved in another allotment site which has only just been set up, also in Chadderton.
    Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Hi again Andy. Thanks for introducing yourself. Hope you get an allotment soon - you'll need to keep the homemade wine stocks replenished!!

Comment

Hello and welcome!
        March is the new winter.

Comment

Welcome to the vine SL! Nice to have a winemaker aboard - always a good idea
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi Pa Snips

Yes, it is Alldigging's allotment that I am hoping to hear from soon.

I am also on another waiting list for a larger, long established allotment nearer to me in North Chadderton but they have about 40 plots and about 40 on the waiting list so if I don't manage to get in at Alldiggings' place I may be in for a bit of a wait.

Hi Eirish and Veggiechicken.

Thanks for the welcome.

Andy
            Last edited by Samurailord; 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM. Reason: Can't copy other poster's names correctly - D'oh!
            http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Hi Jeanied.

Thanks for the welcome.

It's surprisingly easy to make wine - it just sounds hard

Andy

Comment

oh...welcome here too young jedi/samurai/wotsit...
                welcome, put your feet up, get your mouse ready, click and learn
                I think I had about 10 raspberries last year, hoping for lots more this year since the five plants have sprung into about 20 now.....

Comment

Hi there SL! I adore blackcurrants and am hoping for my first crop this year - but there is NO WAY the OH is getting them for wine!!! Pies for me... and maybe some jam.

Welcome, enjoy, learn, go daft!
                  If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Hello and welcome from me too! I'm with Peas'n'Kews I'm afraid....going to keep my currants for pies!! Yummmmmm...........!!!
                    If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

Welcome my lord. Good luck on the lottie. And with the other crops you mentioned. Not too late for beans or sweetcorn etc.

Enjoy the vine.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Andy
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Andy.
                          My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                          Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hi Andy
                            :-)

I'm interested in the idea of making wine

Comment

Hello from another very newbie. 24 hours in and this seems like a good place to be.
                              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X