Hi from NW Scotland

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from NW Scotland

Just a quicky to say hello from NW Scotland where we have recently moved to the stunning coastal area of Morar where we live in a 1930's cottage overlooking the famous Silversands Of Morar beach on the foreshore of the River Morar.

The garden is BARE bereft of planting, grass or anything really we are slowly growing stuff now but are going to need a lot more so I am doubtfully going to have loads of questions as time goes by, our job today was heightening all our rear fencing to keep out the deer? As they were solely responsible for eating all our peas, and strawbs the other day (Not Impressed.com) so all were heightened by a few feet so hoping this will work...... Anyone got any ideas that work feel free to let is know won't you !

So for now we are concentrating on learning block laying as we have thus far been unable to source an affordable workforce in this area?.. (who said Britian was full of the dole crew certainly NOT about here not even offering cash in hand is working!) so were thus having to DIY taking a crash course on everything from scratch our driveway and frontage badly needs retained before the winter hits us and further erosion results we have no options left but to carry on now thus a brickies mate is ordered, a few books downloaded and a few DVDs to watch and I am sure we will manage it's not as if it needs to be perfect its not after all a house wall is it?

Anyway I'm sure I will speak to a fair few of you guys in the coming weeks and months as I venture into other areas planting, propagating, lawns and vegetables a few I can think of for now

Anyways laters
    New and learning - bear with us anything constructive welcomed

Hi Scotsmart and a big Welcome from me. I've read your posts with interest - sounds a beautiful location but with so many challenges! Sorry to say that I have no experience or knowledge that will help you but you do have my very best wishes!
    If you put your location on your profile it'll save us having to ask you all the time!! And you can create a blog by going to your "My Profile" page too.

Comment

Hi Scotsmart

Welcome to the Vine - I'm sure the experienced gardeners on here will be able to answer any questions that you may have,

We all have to face our own problems in the garden, but yours do sound a little more extreme - the biggest thing I have to deal with munching my crops are slugs and snails!

Andy
      http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Welcome Scotsmart. You've come the right place - I do all my gardening learning on here

Comment

Hello Scotsmart & welcome to the vine. I take my hat off to all you Scottish gardeners, we're having a tuff year down here but its the norm for yous.
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hello from Wester Ross. Looks like a lovely spot you've ended up in.

Being on the coast means your last and first frost dates are more like Yorkshire than the glens, plus you should get more light in the summer (weather permitting). Unfortunately, you're too far south to be part of the costa del ross, where we've been so dry and sunny there have been wildfires.

The first thing to do is windbreaks. Plant some suitable shrubs/trees as soon as you can, my local nursery has a good guide at Garden Cottage Nursery Page 8. . Also if your plot is anything like mine, doing anything will result in a big pile of spare stones, which can be built into single skin walls that allow some air through so you don't get turbulence, an example from my garden ...

Last edited by BigJim; 19-06-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Welcome - I'll be watching with interest. Always good to see someone else battling with the wildlife Hope you get your drive fixed. I hear the deer can be pretty hard to keep out.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

BigJim I have to say that looks beautiful!
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome BigJim! Its a tad nutty round here, but always - ultimately - helpful!
                    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Welcome to the vine Scotsmart!
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello & welcome, Scotsmart.
                        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                        Revelation 22:2

Comment

hiya and wecome

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X