• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Chatham, Kent

Hi all.
    Just a few words to introduce myself.
    I am 51, so I remember old money!
    My first job was working at a plant nursery, and I spent the next 30 years wanting to go back!
    We have a 500 square metre garden here, and a couple of years ago we bought a property in a place called Ramil Bajo in Spain that has a couple of thousand square metres but needs a LOT of work to enable us to live in it. (you can see it on google earth, the picture is called "The old mill")
    My interests are mainly exotic fruits, Chilli peppers and unusual vegetables, but my ultimate aim in life is to be self sufficient and retire before the government want me to!
    I have accumulated a vast amount of obscure knowledge, but I am very aware of huge gaps in that knowledge, I am not afraid to ask, but am equally happy to share what I know.

Thanks for reading.

Evening Lawrence, welcome on board. Used to go to Chatham from time to time, working in insurance, I used to visit Lloyd's regularly. Good pub called the Command House along the dock - not been in years, hope it's still there.

Assume the long term plan is to retire to Spain to be self sufficient? [grits teeth jealously]

Am growing a Spanish chilli in the polytunnel called Gorria, which is a Basque variety I gather, so other end of the country from your pad. They're still green at the mo, but about 5" long and 1½" in diameter so fairly chunky. Have had a few ripe cayennes, so they shouldn't be too much longer. They're rather mild I believe, but I thought they might be nice for stuffing. Any recommendations from past chilli successes would be welcomed. There is such a dazzling array available. Me and Mrs Vince like a bit of heat but flavour is just as important too.

Anyway, enjoy. Lot's of helpful people here.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Hello Lawrence and a big welcome from me. I like your aims, I've managed the early retirement bit but self-sufficiency is a very long way off! I hope you achieve both of them.
      Hope to hear a lot more about the unusual fruit and veg that you grow too!

Comment

Hello & welcome, Lawrence.
        (I tried viewing Ramil Bajo, Spain, but this laptop bites.)
        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
        Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hi Lawrence

Welcome to the Vine

I had a look at Ramil Bajo - you are a bit further South West than my mum - she lives in San Javier, just by the airport in Murcia.

She has all sorts of problems in getting anything much to grow - it all seems to need so much water, so I wish you luck.

Would love to see some pictures - perhaps you could show us how you are getting on?

I think it might let us fellow Grapes stop moaning about the rain for a while and be thankful we have abundant water It would also be interesting to see how gardening is done in a warmer clime.

Andy
          http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Hey Lawrence, welcome to the vine
            Chris

My Allotment Journal @
            Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
            -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Welcome to the vine Lawrence - looking forward to hearing about your exotics.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

*trots off to g**gle...
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Welcome Lawrence!

Like VC I have achieved the early retirement thing and am now concentrating on my garden - probably won't ever be self sufficient but would like to be prepared!!!

Have fun with the nutters on this forum.....
                  If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

hiya
                    wait till we fill your head full of other vegetabes to grow...and very nice of you to show us where you'll be living so we can descend on you for an impormptu grapestock
                    be afraid....

Comment

Hi Lawrence and welcome. Haven't visited Chatham in a very long time - old flame. Many happy memories though. Kent or Spain - both very different?!
                      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 24-06-2012, 10:36 AM.
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
                        Yes the command house is still there! More of a youngsters pub these days with a lot of live music so I'm told.
                        You are so right about the water. If you look at the google earth image you will see a amongst the desert like surroundings a band of green to the left of the house going roughly north south, that is because there is a spring rising under the house. It used to be a flour mill, but apparently due to an earthquake, the spring stopped being powerful enough to power the mill, there is a flow however which we hope is enough to keep the garden going.
                        I cant wait to hear about new stuff to grow, and when we move, you are all welcome to visit, although it is off the beaten track, there will always be a cold beer waiting.
                        Yes Spain and Chatham are very different, one is a bit behind the times and full of foreigners and the other one is Spain...
                        Climate wise I think we will have the best of both, at 900M high we will still get some frosts for a short while, but we will get a much longer season without the really high temperatures you get at the coast.
                        I might even be able to grow some Mango trees here.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine from a fellow Kentie :-)

Comment

Hello Lawrence and a very warm welcome to the Vine. You will not see me around at this time very often, but tonight I'm hiding from the football - can't stand it.
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome Lawrence

I hope you enjoy your time here with the grapes. You should like youve got it sorted! Which is excellent. Happy posting.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X