Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sheffield Grape Here

Hello all,

I'm Sue and I've been reading this forum for a while now (I think I have been through all the allotment threads!), I thought it was about time I registered so I could contribute.

I don't have an allotment on a site, but a little plot in a pinfold at the edge of my village which is on the outskirts of Sheffield/edge of the peak. My plot is about 5 minutes walk from my house, so really handy. This is my second year growing veg on the plot, and I am glad it's not my first as I think I would have given up: chocolate spot on the broadbeans, blight on the potatoes, onions are pathetic, French and runner beans rotted, the slugs have had a chomp at lettuces and brassicas (Kohl Rabi disappeared overnight) and the pigeons are having a field day uprooting my leek seedlings. Thank goodness for peas.

My grandfather was a gardener in a few stately homes in the 1940s-60s and his and my mother's green fingers have only just emerged in me. I am now slightly obsessed (I woke up in the middle of the night last week, worrying about the green/brown balance in my compost bin!). I'm looking forward to chatting with my fellow grapes

Welcome to the vine Sue - you are amongst friends here!

All is not lost this year, if we get a late summer. Some things may not look good but still taste ok - I made some hummus out of my chocolate spotted broad beans - it was yummy!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Unfortunately my broadies haven't even set, it's the first year since growing beans (I used to grow them in large pots) that I haven't been plagued with blackfly. I just keep thinking how good they will be for the compost bin, hmph.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Sue

My broad beans also had chocolate spot this year but the beans themselves were fine the last of them went into the freezer today.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello Sue and a big welcome from me too

Comment

Welcome to the vine Sue
              Chris

My Allotment Journal @
              Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
              -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hi Sue... Welcome to the vine...
                Hope you enjojed this hot sunny day. Seems like you have brought us a change in the weather.
                Its a bad year for lots of veg... not had a cabbage yet. Peas have been good and runners after a slow start are a mass of flowers and inch long beans. Climbing french are doing nowt. Kale, planted for winter use as flowering and needs eating.. onions are a dead loss.... need i go on.
                Dont lose heart dear lady... things will catch up.
                Roger
                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for the welcome all! I keep thinking that even if this is bad for the veg in at the moment, my autumn/winter stuff is going to be great (fingers crossed!). I'm just off up to the plot now to pick some peas to have for my tea, and maybe a courgette too.

Comment

Hello Sue and a very warm welcome to the Vine I'm in the NW of Sheffield too, small world.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hi Sue, welcome to the insane Vine! I am glad (in the best possible way) that you woke up worrying about compost - my friends think I am barmy cos I am compost obsessed, so it is good to hear of someone else who may also be a tad, err, de-composed!!!
                      If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Hello & welcome, Sue.
                        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                        Revelation 22:2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X