Allotment From Scratch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment From Scratch

Hello one and all, I'm Barking by name and barking by nature ....

This year I've created a new allotment plot in the corner of what is a farmer's pasture field in Wiltshire. It's been under grass since time immemorial, and I didn't get confirmation I could have the land until the beginning of April. As you can imagine, it's been a bit of a struggle! I laid out an area 15m x 9m, weedkillered the grass and created beds / trenches by removing the turves with a mattock and digging only where I needed to. A lot of crops I'm growing through plastic mulch - potatoes, sweetcorn, courgettes, squashes, cabbages and broad beans - but I do have seed beds (mainly carrot, beetroot, radish, lettuce), and some open areas for onions, leeks and peas. Weed suppression has been pretty good, although I am troubled by bindweed and thistles which hadn't emerged when everything was sprayed.

As everybody knows, its been a difficult year. The soil is a clay loam and very moisture-retentive, but I've been pleasantly surprised how well root crops like carrots and parsnips penetrate, and mange tout and broad beans in particular have cropped really well. Onions, leeks and sweetcorn all look good although the weather has meant that few cucumbers / courgettes / squashes have set, but I'm hoping next week's forecast dry, warm weather might yet save the day. Peas have been a disaster (I'll get back fewer than I put in), and the maincrop spuds have already got blight (which is rampant in the village this year). At least being a new plot there are comparatively few pests and diseases, but using plastic obviously does magnify whatever slug problem you do have.

I'm fortunate that my wife is a former lecturer in horticulture, so I don't lack for technical advice (both welcome and unwelcome). It's my project, though, and I'm enjoying making my own mistakes!
    Last edited by Barking Postlethwaite; 22-07-2012, 07:00 PM.

Hello Barking P and welcome to the Forum. If you really are Barking you should fit in well here
    Could you put your location on your profile please, as it helps us to understand your local conditions - although I don't think you'll need much advice with your OH on call.

Comment

It sounds as if you have got off to a flying start! I think everyone agrees it has been an awful year this year so give yourself a big pat on the back for doing so well.
      A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Welcome to the vine BP, everything will pick up when summer arrives.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hey Barking, I'm Feral by name and Feral by nature

Welcome, and yes sounds like you might have more than enough advice from the home front. Of course, here you'll get so many differing views that you can always find one you agree with.
          Best of luck for when summer arrives. I'm hanging out for spring myself, over the winter. Atho I'll need to get the mower working before then.
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Hello & welcome

Comment

Hello & welcome, Barking.
                My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hello and welcome from someone else trying to make a garden on what has been pasture since dot.

We have the clay, but not the loam. And somebody scraped all the top soil off in order to build a house. Yep, that was us...

Three years in and the wireworm problem of years one and two has gone, but the slugs keep breeding!
                  Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X