Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from bonnie Scotland

Hi everyone,

I am currently growing a few veg in pots in my garden. So far I have managed to grow some potatoes, strawberries, lettuce and in the middle of growing some peas.

Hope to get some good tips and currently deciding whither I should get an allotment.

Hello Veg newbie and welcome to the Forum! If you're able to get an allotment locally, go for it!. I'm sure you won't regret it
    You'll find several recent threads in here Allotment Advice about new allotments. Use their experiences to decide for yourself!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Veg Newbie, I started out by growing in pots then I filled in a pond and dug up half the lawn to make a veg plot.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Veggiechicken the plot is about a 20-25 min drive away, so I am really just toiling about if I think it is too far away.

The plot is 10m by 10m so a good sized plot.

Comment

You could give it a try for a year and see if it suits you. Only you can decide really
          It would be interesting to know how far plot holders on here travel to their allotments. I no longer have one but it was a couple of miles away. I could walk it but it was a long way to carry stuff back. However, it was on my way home from work so I could pop in and do a bit before going home. Just more things for you to think about!!

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine. Like Bren, my plot is my garden, so not far to go for a brew. If you pop your location into your profile, we'll not forget where you are.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome - I'm also a home gardener. I couldn't go that far without a coffee!
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Don't they have th€rm0s flasks in Oz, Feral???
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hush your mouth G4 - thermos coffee is not REAL coffee.............and I'm not even going to mention the containers needed for the end results..............No!
                  Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Welcome to the Vine

I started off growing the odd veg in the flower borders for a number of years, progresseed onto pots and raised beds in the garden and got a 12m x 15m allotment at the start of July this year.

If you have the time and energy I can recommend taking on an allotment - if 10x10 feels a bit much for you, see if you can take on a half.

The whole allotment community feel is a great one to be involved with - try to find out who your plot neighbours would be and see if you think that you will get on with them before you commit to anything.

If you don't feel comfortable, then it may be better to walk away and wait for another plot rather than not enjoying your time at the site.

I have been very fortunate to get in with a group of lovely people at my allotment.

As for travel, I have to drive about 10-15 minutes to get to my plot.

Andy
                    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

*Hides her thermos so as to not offend Feral*
                      Hello and welcome, Veg Newbie
                      My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                      Revelation 22:2

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I went to see about the allotment but never got to see anything. I timed the drive and it was 20 mins, I found out I know someone there, so going to give them a call next week.

In other news got some pak choi and over winter sping onions today, sorted the bed using a Wilkins grow bag and then the rain started. Hopefully planting them tomorrow.

Comment

Just another update,

After quite a lot of googling I have found one about 6miles away which is hoping to be the first council allotments in west Lothian

I put my name down and hoping to hear from them in a few months.

Comment

Hi Veg Newbie and welcome from another newcomer. The six mile distant lotty sounds a more workable option than the 20 min drive one. I had a couple of years growing in containers plus a small bed but after having an allotment for the last 14 months (5 min walk, front door to shed door) I'm amazed at the volume of produce I can now grow. Good luck with it.
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Sounds good! I can't imagine having to go to far to look at the veg. I like being able to watch it grow from the deck, with a coffee (I'm not really a posh coffee drinker, it just tastes weird out of a thermos) and I like being able to pick my lunch on the way to the car in the morning.

Hope the new allotments get going for you
                              Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X