No, really, a true beginner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Vine, Digger.

I too have just got started with a plot, and I think that the most important thing to remember is not to get too disheartened with your own progress, just set yourself small, achieveable goals and don't worry too much if you only seem to be a tiny way towards where you want to end up.

Make a plan, dig your beds when you can and don't be afraid to change your plan. Then change it again as you get to know your land better.

Then change it again when you see where the clay lies as you dig.

I must have changed my plans ten times already in the seven weeks I have had my plot - the major one is to re-site my manure pile - after I had just spent the best part of two weeks moving it from the path where it had been dropped All 10 tons of it

Overall, have fun and plant stuff you enjoy eating, or stuff that is unusual or exotic - just because you can!

Andy
    Last edited by Samurailord; 23-08-2012, 11:43 AM.
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Hi Digger, welcome from one of the nutters

Loads of information on here. As someone said just look into the allotment section and the veg section to start with. Took me a while to work my way through some of the interesting stuff, and now I just hang out on the New Posts to see what everyone is up to each day.

I don't know about goat's poo, but I think that you have to have a certificate for your manure over there - because of the weed killers they use in the hay etc.

Mostly with new garden's its good to just clear a small space and bung in some veg that will grow through winter, just for interest. Then work through the rest of it, clearning weeds, covering with cardboard, and growing green manure. You'll have loads of fun if you like outdoors and doing things. I always find the garden cheers me up after a bad day at work - or if the kids are picking on me!
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hello and welcome, DiggerJ.
        My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
        Revelation 22:2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X