Hi All

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All

Hello to all the members, my name is Dave and I live in the very South of Spain right by Gibraltar. I am very lucky to have awesome growing conditions for many plants, but only have pots to grow in except for my Grape Vine.

Herein lies my problem, my white Grapevine produced a great and beautiful crop the first year I was here but for the last three summers, although the grapes have tried to develop, they have been rotten.

I am having a terrible problem with insects decimating the leaves too, so i have scanned all of the offending items and hope that someone gives me some serious advice on control and prevention.

The problem insects appear to be Gastrophysa Viridula (Green Dock Beetle) but I have NO dock in the area and these seem to be able to complete their life cycle happily on my vine. The grape problem seems to be Black Rot as they look like pictures I have seen of it. The scan i attached is of a very young immature grape which is already showing signs of the problem.

Many thanks

Dave Gibbins
    Attached Files

Hi Dave and welcome to the Grapevine. Even though we're all known as Grapes on here, I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about growing them! I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your question at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ase_67666.html

Comment

Hehehe I realised that but just hoped there might be a knowledgeable Grapey person somewhere. Many thanks anyway

Comment

We do have Fruity types and Pests - oops I mean Pest experts

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          We do have Fruity types and Pests - oops I mean Pest experts
          Think you might have been right first time VC. Welcome to the Madhouse Dave, FB is our resident fruit expert so hopefully he'll be along soon.

Comment

Hi Dave

Welcome to the Vine.

I hope you are going to keep us updated on how you manage to keep your plants going through the heat of the summer - after all, we are all going to have the same problems here in the UK next year

Andy
            http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Hi Andy

It was a problem as we do a lot of Tomatoes and Green peppers, but I invested in a 'Timer irrigation unit' that attaches to the hose and has it's own thin hose coming from it, so four times a day the soil gets doused with a 5 minute deluge.

apart from that, it is So hot here, we have to plant things that do well in the heat although water is the key, if you can irrigate, then most things will grow really well. We have had loads of wonderful Tomatoes, both grape and standard, wonderful green peppers, and I will soon be harvesting my new incredibly hot Bird's Eye Piri-Piri & Scotch Bonnet Chillis that have flowers everywhere.

The newest addition is a 'Dama De Noche' (Lady of the Night) or Night Blooming Jasmine which has taken off like wildfire and gives us the most amazing smell only at dusk. So it's water water and .....more water!

Dave

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Oh, and look out for the Fergs - they live not far from you - mad lot they are!
                Last edited by Glutton4...; 27-08-2012, 05:20 PM.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Welcome to the vine, Dave. Can't help on the grapevine front but it will be interesting to hear about your growing in Spain!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hello Dave and a very warm welcome to the Vine

Sorry, can't help you with your problem, I don't grow grapes, but I do enjoy their liquid harvest.
                    Last edited by Florence Fennel; 27-08-2012, 06:43 PM.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome to the vine Dave, don't mention watering to Andy, I think he is having a swimming pool built.......
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Welcome to the vine Dave, don't mention watering to Andy, I think he is having a swimming pool built.......
                        That's right BigM - kick a man while he is down!!!

Just you wait until I have the lushest, greenest plot for miles around that will never need watering, even in the midst of the worst drought.

Just remember - he who laughs last, laughs last

Andy
                        http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Oh you're all a cheeky lot at this end of the growing season! I'll be the one lookiing for 5 mls of water in the heatwave shortly, in the meantime I'm freezin me gluteous off.

Welcome Dave! I knwo about heat - altho we don't do water here much. And I know about cold.
                          I've just planted two grapevines and hoping to get another 2/3 in before summer so I'm looking to see what answers you get to your questions.
                          The bugs don't get much chance tho - whatever survives the frosts usually succumbs to the heat or vice versa
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hiya Dave - did you knwo out of every group of peple everywhere at any time, there'll be soeone called Dave?
                            Anyway, hiya and welcome....
                            You can try posting your original question in Feeling Fruity, I think it's the only one that FB looks at

Comment

Hello from another wet UK escapee.

Except its wet here too. And hot. And snows.

Can't help on the grapes as my first is only six months old and hasn't grown enough to fruit yet.
                              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X