Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone from South Wales

Hi all,
    my name is Andi, I'm a keen homebrewer and I'm reasonably new to the grow your own thing. I did make myself a small raised bed last year and successfully grew courgettes, aubergines, spinach and lettuce, and I've grown my own chillies for the last few years, but I'm in the process of landscaping my garden and I will have two raised beds, approximately 2 square metres each, that I intend to use to grow basic veg..

My plan is to grow the following if there is room as they are what we generally buy each time we shop:
    potatoes
    onions
    chillies
    bell peppers
    mushrooms
    carrots
    parsnips
    strawberries
    herbs
    lettuce

The next thing I need to do is plan all that into a calendar, and also work out if there is room in the beds along with a few pots for potatoes and strawberries. Once each veg has it's own spot in the bed I will have a good mental map of how possible all that is.

I look forward to learning lots from this board and will have a browse around for beginner tutorials and how-to guides.

Cheers.

what part of gods country are you from TG
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Croeso Andi. Its always a pleasure to meet someone else from my home patch! You'd better prepare yourself for some insults along the way! Nothing personal to you, but we South Walians seem to have developed a reputation for being a bit nuts
      I'm sure some sane person will be along soon to welcome you properly

Comment

Cheers all, for my sins I live in Newport. I've updated my profile now accordingly. I'm fully prepared for ribbing, insults, jibes and lo-brow humour, I hear it every time I open my front door

Comment

Then you truly are one of us, Goatreich

Comment

Is there a beginners guide on this forum with basic starting out tips?

Comment

Lots of stuff in the search part GR, but I'm just one who asks on the forums anyway because I'm just a bit lazy.
              Welcome from another newer part of wales........altho we are just as nutty I'm afraid. All that brewing over there makes me think I'm missing something!
              Have fun with all your raised beds. I'm just about ready to rev up for the growing season over here - have had veg envy all winter!
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by The Goatreich View Post
                Is there a beginners guide on this forum with basic starting out tips?
                These may help you http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nks_44745.html
                If you have specific questions try asking them in New Shoots or have a search. You can bet that someone will have an answer for you - though it may lead to totally irrelevant answers!

Comment

Great stuff, thanks.

Comment

Croeso i'r Vine.
                    Start with the "How to grow" on the Home page here. Then try:-
                    Growing info cards. Growing Cards - Grow Your Own info in bite-sized chunks

BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides: Basics

Fruit & Veg planner

The RHS web site has lots of useful info, too.

If you want a book, this is a good place to start.

I wouldn't make jokes about Newport but I did go there to look at the Uni (the bit in the town) with my children and I will say OMG and the sun wa shining that day. It has a long way to go on the regeneration front I think.
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Yeah, it's a dump haha! When I can afford to move on, I will, at speed. Thanks for the links.

Comment

Welcome to the vine TG, I would never say anything bad about Wales........they're beautiful creatures......
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I'm sure some sane person will be along soon to welcome you properly
                          Still waiting...........

Comment

Sorry, I thought you said Whales.........we don't pronounce our "h's" up 'ere.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              Sorry, I thought you said Whales.........we don't pronounce our "h's" up 'ere.
                              We only have a double "ll" in our words!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X