Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello everyone, my name is Melanie and I'm a growaholic.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone, my name is Melanie and I'm a growaholic.

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new on here so thought it best to introduce myself. I live in Newbiggin By The Sea, Northumberland. I am 24 and don't really know anyone who grows their own so it's nice to find a community of like minded people. I don't have much space so I grow mostly in pots and I don't have a greenhouse so I use blowaways. I first started getting interested in growing my own a few years back, since then it's totally taken over my life, in a good way. The price of fruit and veg will only increase every year so I intend on growing as much I can to avoid wasting money and cutting down food miles.

My growing method is just trial and error, nothing else really. I try and follow the guidelines on the seed packets best I can but sometimes I just plant and hope for the best. Up to now I've really only grown the stuff I like to eat but it's nice to try something new every now and again.

So enough waffling for now, thanks for reading and please feel free to say hello.
    Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Hello again Melanie Moopmoop and Welcome. If you think this is a community of Like-minded people you must be a Nutter too Caveat - there are some sensible people on here, but I'm not one!
    Lots of us grow in pots and there's plenty of good advice for the asking - so ask away

Comment

Hello veggiechicken.

From mooching around on here there seems to be a lot of people who aren't sensible but that suits me just fine, we're all a little strange us grow your owners. What's your summer weather like? Is it sunny or rainy? Mine is pretty miserable and coldish, it's been a terrible growing season this year. How about you?

Comment

Its been pretty awful for most of us, this year - as you'll see from the posts on here. We've all suffered with the unpredictable weather and all the slugs and snails that multiplied in the damp weather. I think I remember a warm week or two back in May - that must have been summer Today has been beautiful though - dry and sunny but cold. Its time for clearing up dead leaves and planning for next year (and adding to your seed collection )

Comment

Hi Melanie Moopmoop, nice alliteration and welcome to the vine from another who started off with bits here and bits there. I too grow to cut costs, grow organic to eat organic and cut out the supermarkets. Hope you have a good time here.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Hi Melanie. If you want something bigger than a pot, it's pretty easy to make a planting box out of plywood. It doesn't have to be picture perfect, as long as it holds dirt.

Comment

Hi MMM and welcome. I'm not one of the saner people on here either. But I blame it on sunstroke. We're suffering the opposite of your last summer. Wet? What's wet?

Lots to read on here, have fun.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Welcome to the vine MM, wish I had started when I was 24 instead of waiting till I was nearly 54.......
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Madhouse!

Love the name, by the way - I just LUUUUUURVE Pingu!

And CAAAAAAAAAKE, PAAAAAAAAAARSNIPS and CHRIIIIIIIIIIIISTMAS!

But they are taboo words on here, so it'll probably get modded!
                  Last edited by Glutton4...; 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Melanie I started out by growing in pots and anything else I could get my hands on, even one of those big tubs they use on builders sites.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome

Hi Melanie - I am an old newbie to this blog - welcome and I think you will find the people as nice as I have
                      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

HELLO MM,welcome to the vine,it's nice to hear of younger peeps taking up the challenge,not only is it rewarding,its a real sence of achievement when you pick your own,no matter what it be,even that 1 radish,because you grew it,there is lots of advice on here,from all walks of life,before you know it,you will be after a lottie,as it is soooo adictive,gardening caters for many needs,fresh air,fresh food,if the digging doe's not get your heart rate going,the pure joy of tasting your own will,plus nattering to other like mined peeps,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Morning people, thanks for saying hello.

My grandad called me Melanie moopmoop when I was very young and the name stuck. The avatar is a photograph I took at Edinburgh Zoo, doesn't he look evil?

RS - I do have a few large pots, my O/H works for a skip hire company and you'd be disgusted at the perfectly decent stuff that get's thrown away. All of the garden things comes home for me, woohoo.

BM - it's better late than never, both of my grandads were gardeners, it skipped a generation with both of my parents but I've definitely got the gardening genes. Most of my memories from when I was young was messing around in either grandparents veg patch. Eating fresh rhubarb or strawberries and turnips straight out of the ground. There's nothing better.

Comment

Welcome Melanie MoopMoop. Emineminem!

I think you will have a great time here! We do! We are all looking forward to next year......only 11 sleeps to the shortest day.......it's all uphill from there!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hi lil pinguino It is fun on here! If I don't check in at least every other day I feel like I've missed out!
                              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X