Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no, another newbie!!

'Ullo m'dears
    Having just bought my first house, and with a head full of ideas, I thought it sensible to head to a forum - so here I am!

The grounds of my pied-a-terre in Normandy haven't really been used for anything seriously horticultural in the past several years, so the creation of a large circular flower bed from scratch was an interesting experiment that worked fairly well until a gale in September saw off some lovely Delphs - should they be supported?

I've also started off a reasonable size veggie plot, promptly double-dug in loads of well-rotted manoor from a neighbour's 2 horses, and saw a good return in pots, beans and chard, but little success with caulies (probably planted them a bit early, just before some naughty weather last April).

I'm planning to hedge the veggie plot with a load of raspberry canes that sprang up from (seemingly) nowhere, but need a little advice on where to site currant bushes - the goozgogs were wrecked by sawfly last year, forcing me to buy in insipid frozen berries - will they like a nice shady spot behind the house, or prefer more direct sunlight? Options I have, experience I don't.

All thoughts/comments appreciated

A Cornishman Abroad

Hello CelticNomad and welcome! A wise move of yours to join a forum - and most people here are sensible - but there are always the odd few I apologise now!!!
    I'm sure some French Grapes will be along soon to say Hello - in whichever language you prefer. Look forward to hearing more about your garden and how it develops during 2013.
    Pull up a chair and make yourself at home

Comment

Hi Celtic welcome and enjoy
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine CelticNomad
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome CN, nice to have another French grape aboard.......I hear they are the best type but as I don't drink I can't comment..........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi, I'm one of the odd few

Welcome, sounds like you've got plenty of scope. Best of luck with the next season.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Welcome to the vine

Comment

Salut from a French Grape - Tannat's our local grape and will put hairs on your tongue

I'm down at the other end, looking at the very, very white Pyrenees.

Happy growing.
                Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hooray, another newbie!
                    Welcome from me, too.... and as for the currants, no nice shady spot please, berries want to bathe in the sun
                    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine from me too!
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Welcome Celtic nomad.....you won't be a newbie for long.......stick around and chat a while....you can log out but you can never leave....

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hello & welcome bud
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X