Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big wave from a novice!! What would you have done differently?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big wave from a novice!! What would you have done differently?

Hi there! I have taken over my late dad's allotment with my sister in law after he passed away in September. I wish I had asked him so many questions! I live in the South Wales valleys so a water shortage is not a usual problem! I have avidly reading an assortment of allotment books and magazines and really learning on the job!

I wondered, if you could give yourself some advice from when you first had an allotment, what would it be? What pitfalls should we be looking out for? We really want to do my dad's memory and his plot proud.

Thank you for any advice-I look forward to learning from you all xxx

Nickyx

Good luck with your allotment, I'm sure your Dad would have been proud of you. I don't have an allotment, but someone who does will be along real soon.
    Nannys make memories

Comment

Welcome to the vine Nicky. One of the first lessons I learned was protection of crops. Fruit bushes & Brassicas in particularly benefit from some kind of netting structure to protect against birds & butterflies.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Croeso Nicky - I'm just over the mountain from you in Cardiff
        Could you post some photos of the allotment for us to have a nosey at? Perhaps tell us what is growing there now and what you would like to grow this year. Then we can give you more specific advice on what to do.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine

I don't think there is anything I would do differently if I could go back. It was a steep learning curve for us when we got our small garden and we have had fun... along with tears when I fell over and hurt mi ankle Only the layout and stuff we grow is different now.

Grow food you like eating and don't go mad with a million different plant types. There is always time to expand and experiment next year. That's a thing I like about growing your own

There is a wealth of knowledge on here so ask any questions you may have. I'm sure you will do well, and would like to see your lotty, do you have any pics?
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
          If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Here is our allotment. We are going to be rotating our crops so they are all in different place from last year. It is a lovely, sunny spot which is protected from the wind. Behind my photographing position, there is a raised bed, raspberry plants and our shed. We also have rhubarb which seems to have died back completely-is that normal? xxx
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good Nicky. Rhubarb should be starting to poke new shoots up around about now. If you have a careful rummage you might see some.
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
              If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

I am sure I saw a few shoots so that should be ok then. Spent two hours weed clearing and turning over the soil yesterday-it's certainly a good workout!!!

Comment

We want to grow potatoes, beans, peas, leeks, onions, beetroot, sweetcorn parsnips and carrots along with some salad crops. I have been reading about compnaion planting and sacrificial planting so have bought some seeds for nasturtiums, marigolds and anti-slug and snail flowers! We are planning a path to split the plot to make it more manageable. My dad didn't feel the need as he was retired and could go there every day if he needed to but we are trying to fit it in around full time jobs (and a host of other hobbies!)

Comment

Hello & welcome
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by NickyRich View Post
                      We want to grow potatoes, beans, peas, leeks, onions, beetroot, sweetcorn parsnips and carrots along with some salad crops. I have been reading about compnaion planting and sacrificial planting so have bought some seeds for nasturtiums, marigolds and anti-slug and snail flowers! We are planning a path to split the plot to make it more manageable. My dad didn't feel the need as he was retired and could go there every day if he needed to but we are trying to fit it in around full time jobs (and a host of other hobbies!)
                      It's a good size even with a path up the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Nothing really, the paths between some of my beds could do with being a couple of inches wide and a larger shed with hindsight but nothing I can't live with.

Comment

Welcome, thats a lovely plot. My only advice is grow what you actualy eat, its so easy when in the seed shop to buy loads of stuff and then wish you hadnt, and be prepared for some dissapointment alongside the successes.The Rhubarb will come rest assured. Resist the temptation to plant things too closely together, you have a good sized plot so no need and things do like their space, also it makes it easier to weed. Finaly make compost, as much as you can.
                          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hi and welcome. I learnt that last year was a learning curve. So things grew some things didn't.
                            I had so many courgettes I was sick of looking at them.
                            Also don't be afraid to ask questions. I ask loads here. You might think its a bit of a daft one but if you don't know the answer then its not a daft question.
                            Your plot looks really nice and a good size plot to.
                            Oh and remember enjoy it.
                            sigpic

Comment

And don't forget the comfy chair.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X