No announcement yet.

Cropless and clueless

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and welcome from another one trying to be self-sufficient in the back garden. So far we have enough cucumbers, lettuces, tomatoes, courgettes, slugs and cats.
    Enjoy the Vine :-)
    Last edited by PyreneesPlot; 16-09-2014, 09:44 AM.
    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm also a back garden grower I grow lots of fruit second year .Cant believe how addictive it is

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

At the moment it is two beds but I was debating whether to dig out the middle ground so it's one big bed that I could mark off into smaller beds, or not. Still undecided so not going to dig it out until I'm sure what I want to do with it. I'm thinking of raising it too.

Comment

I also need a solution to cats, I have one cat but I don't think he's the culprit for messing on freshly dug earth, need to keep other cats off. I'm sure I'll come across a thread here as I browse but if someone could be kind enough to link me a shortcut, I'd appreciate it very muchly.

I know I'll end up torn too between keeping me fed and giving wildlife and mini-beasts a home. I originally wanted to create a garden for bugs and beasts, attract nature..but now I want some space to sustain me, any advice on keeping a bug-friendly space but keeping them away from certain bits that I want to grow on....or am I asking the impossible?

Comment

Depends on what you are trying to keep away jodzy, deterring butterflies, beds need netting. Cats, I would suggest something like holly sprinkled on the beds. I have also heard twigs stuck in the soil deters them.................slugs, I personally use pellets but you can use beer traps, copper tape & Nematodes................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have not quite made VC's progression - I remain cropless and clueless.

If you want to throw anything at present then try overwintering onions, Shenshu seem to be the normal. Think they are available in places like Wilkinsons. Could be worth a couple of rows, another is garlic, again last weekend Wilkinsons had some decent looking ones in.

Basic thinking is that it is something to get going with. Looks good.

Concerning seeds I tend to get mine at moreveg, small supplier that sells small quantities of seeds. Very useful if the "plot" is a garden or in a garden as you are do not end up with packets containing hundreds of seeds that never get used. Have seen a couple of others here refer to them also.

Suppose it now depends on what it is you want and what will grow for you.

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Jodzy.
                Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X