Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropless and clueless

Hi all,
    New to the forum and world of grow-your-own. This summer has been my first year for successfully growing anything (the free wildflower seeds Countryfile sent me ) and now I've got the bug.
    Am keen to learn everything and anything, as this is my foundation and first steps towards homesteading and complete self-sufficiency. I want to learn everything from the best place for seeds to the science of the food I'm going to grow.
    Am looking forward to becoming part of this community and seeing where it all takes me

Hello jodzy and welcome to the Grapevine
    We all started cropless and some of us have remained clueless
    Could you give us an idea of the space you have for growing - it could be anything from a window box to an allotment!! Also, if you could add your location (County is sufficient) we can tailor our answers to fit your local conditions. Thanks.
    Meanwhile, pull up a chair and make yourself at home

Comment

Hello jodzy, welcome and enjoy the site.

I caught the bug when a colleague gave me some spare tomato plants more years ago than I care to (or can!) remember and I'm still learning!

Your terminology is interesting... "Countryfile" suggests UK; "homesteading" suggests USA; what "foundation" suggests I'm not quite sure! Looking forward to learning more about you as you learn more about the world of Grow Your Own!

Edit: ah, Anglesey has appeared! *waits for more*
      Last edited by teakdesk; 15-09-2014, 02:43 PM.
      The proof of the growing is in the eating.
      Leave Rotten Fruit.
      Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
      Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
      Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Hi veggie, thanks for the welcome
        I'm back-yard growing, I have a space dug out for a veggie bed which is about 8 x 8ft and lots of additional space for containers....I'll try to get photo's uploaded as soon as I can find my little fandangly-thing that the photo's are stored on.
        I live up North Wales, on Anglesey
        Thanks again for the reply

Comment

Hi teakdesk

Don't we homestead in the UK? Or what's our word for it? haha.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Jodzy

I'm also a back garden grower and up to yet I'm only self-sufficient in lettuce and greens but its a start.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Croeso jodzy
              Look forward to seeing your photos - we're a nosey lot

Comment

I'm a back yard gardener, 2nd year now and LOVE it.
                Nannys make memories

Comment

Hello and welcome I am to a backyard grower.
                  Carrie

Comment

Oh great to see I'm not the only back-yarder, felt like an allotmenter-imposter with my little plot and lack of produce, but it's nice to be welcomed, thank you all

Comment

Hi and welcome. You'll learn so much just from logging on here. Enjoy.
                      I get all the books on gardening from the library and find they're a mine of information.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hello from over the straits Jodzy! I'm in Conwy county...
                        I'm new on here too really.
                        Sadly, not a garden grower but a plot renter here. I can only dream!

Comment

Hello jodzyand welcome to the vine...I'm a garden grower too

Comment

Hello Jodzy & welcome to the vine. 8' x 8' is a large bed that you will most likely have to walk on to get to some plants. May I suggest making 2 beds each 8' x 3' with a path down the middle, and try square foot gardening. This will give you 48 squares to try different crops.

If you have a week to spare, you may want to browse this thread:
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_44388.html
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 15-09-2014, 10:11 PM. Reason: Added link.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I too am a back garden gardener - although i like to refer to mine as kitchen garden as i like to think it makes me sound posh and that i can actually cook! Ha - fooled them all!

I was fortunate to have grandparenets and parents that loved gardening so it has always been part of my life, but as the others have all said we continue to learn!

Happy growing!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X